4- Gabriel

You’re home The voices echoed as I glanced around realizing that wherever this place was it wasn’t home for me. If anything it was like walking into a nightmare, a dream casted into reality by a magician’s twirling hand. But there was, I’ll admit, a certain feeling of familiarity, as if I had walked this ground before, as if everything I was currently experiencing had already been experienced.

But that was impossible...right? And yet, the more I looked around the more intensified the feeling became, even my feet began moving of their own accord, self assured like I was walking down a street in my neighborhood. Every move I made was predetermined; there was no hesitation, no moment of consideration as I navigated through low lying branches, twisted tree trunks and mist covered ground.

It just...didn’t make any sense. My life suddenly felt like a series of unfortunate events strewn together by chance, by the voices in my head that had dulled to a quiet buzz in the cobwebbed corners of my mind that was supposedly mine.

As I walked, I couldn’t help but to feel as if I wasn’t entirely alone, it felt like a shadow was pressing against my back causing the hairs at the nape of my neck to rise and goose bumps to prickle my arms. I shivered.

Calm down, I told myself, there wasn’t any sound but the crunch of my feet on the dried leaves, no one else’s breath except my own exhaled into the air.

But I couldn’t seem to shake the feeling...somewhere inside of me I just knew that there was something out there watching me...following me.

Close your eyes and you will see the voices encouraged

Yeah right, like I’m going to fucking do that I thought bitterly, before my face was smashed into the ground beneath my feet.

Strange how it doesn’t really matter the height at which you start falling, it’s all the same by the time you reach the ground, you’re either dead, or you aren’t. And I wasn’t dead, so that was good, hell, I had merely tripped I thought at first. But then the snarling made me question that assessment and the weight on my back also suggested that maybe a third party had been involved.

I gritted my teeth; I could feel the voices pushing against me, desperate to once again take over. But my hands were already stained red with the murder of my mother, and I refused to dirty them again. That didn’t mean I wasn’t going to struggle as I spun around, so that now I was at least facing my attacker.

At first, all I saw was white, the clear pristine white of elongated fangs seeking what I assumed to be my neck. But as my eyes adjusted I glimpsed the outline of a face, short brain hair, sculpted features. Whatever it was, it did a good job of looking human...except most humans have like a pupil and then that white stuff, this thing only had a pupil. Its eyes were pitch black.

“What are you?” I whispered while continuing to struggle against the weight. It didn’t answer, just kept snarling and snapping at me.

Kill it the voices urged

“NO I WON’T!” I screamed loudly, causing the creature to pause over top of me.

“Who are you talking to?” it questioned.

“No one” I mumbled, but at least it had stopped trying to kill me, turns out my insanity is good for something after all.

“....you aren’t human are you?” It asked, sniffing me.

“Um...actually, I’m pretty sure I am”

You know that’s not true...

Shut up