Chapter 1 - FRIENDS

It is late in the afternoon, the vast field of yellow flowers perfectly blend with the color of the sunset. I really love the afternoons most especially after school. I love spending it at the back of our school's old building where the library is situated. This place is where I usually spend most of my time in Fernwood High. Students usually don't hang around here after class hours, maybe because most of the students love hanging somewhere where they can do things freely. No rules and stuff.

I'm Kate by the way, and I haven't much to brag about myself. I belong to the 'okay' group and I think that it is quite good. Really good enough, coz that's the best I can work out in high school. I'm not good in dancing and stuff to be a cheerleader and I don't have much of a pretty face to be the 'IT' girl, though my friends would tell me that if only I dress up "normally" I am not that bad. Well, what's wrong with wearing band t-shirts and baggy jeans? I am not a lesbian, I just feel comfortable with loose clothes.

Moving on... I'm a senior and I'm pretty much excited to graduate and go to college to be with my parents in England. They've been there for about three years now. As for independence I have lots of those, it's not like my parents care less about me, they just can't abandon the company that my grandfather entrusted them. They fix my finances and make sure I have everything I need. They have hired someone to do the cleaning and laundry every weekend and they let my half-brother sleep over sometimes. He is dad's son to his high school girlfriend who runaway after giving birth. That may sound sad, but you know Mom and me love my brother so much!

Oppsss! I guess I have been talking too much about myself. Anyways, back to my 'moment', I am sitting in the field of yellow flowers with my best friend Jay which I haven't mentioned earlier.

He is talking about his perfect moment with Lucy earlier today in the school cafeteria. He's hyper when he's in love. This may sound too cheesy for my liking but he actually serenade Lucy in front of all the students of Fernwood High during the lunch break!

I was seated on my usual spot in the cafeteria when Jay started singing in acapella.

All I am, all I'll be... everything in this world... all that I ever see... is in your eyes....

Right after the second line of the song, Ric, my best friend's gorgeous guy friend, started playing the guitar. Most of the girls were mesmerized and some just give them a puzzled look. Jay then suddenly pull a red rose on his back pocket and started walking towards the table where Lucy is seated with her girlfriends. Then the crowd is in ecstasy, cheering for the couple. Soon after the song ended, Jay landed a kiss on Lucy's forehead, which makes the crowd ecstatic. My best friend sure does know how to treat a girl really well, I figured. Though Jay and I were best friends since kindergarten, I barely know this side of him. It's not that he's not a gentleman when we're together, it's just that I am his girl best friend and friends don't just get romantic right?

Before leaving the cafeteria Jay look at the spot where I am silently eating my lunch and give me a thumbs up. I just smile in return. My best friend belongs to the popular group. Though we've been together since we were kids we have landed on a different group in high school. I usually don't want to hang out with the popular people. I have nothing bad against them, but it seems like I do not fit in. Well, for Jay it's a different case. He's on the football team, he's good looking and he's a close friend of the most popular guy in school Arthur McLean.

Speaking of Arthur, well he's my ultimate crush! He's the captain of the football team. He has a gorgeous blue eyes, chocolate brown hair and a perfectly build body. His gaze brings shiver on my spine. Ohh good Lord you're really good in creating heavenly and drop dead gorgeous men! Oohhh i think I'm gonna faint if he would be near me!

"Kate, are you listening?! Earth calling Katelyn!!!” Jay bring back my senses, I just drifted on my thoughts! Thoughts of Arthur.

Sometimes my best friend is really good in ruining a perfect moment, well though it's just a thought I consider it a moment with MY Arthur. Yes you heard it right! Since when did I really become possessive with a guy? Ever since I have laid my eyes on my ultimate crush Arthur McLean!