That Time I Drowned in Mint

ONE YEAR AGO

"I'm gonna miss you so much, Gwen!" I was crushed into a group hug at the train station between my two best friends. I was about to get on the train my grandparents were already on, headed to Schuyler, the town they lived in. My parents passed about three years ago, so I lived with my uncle. My uncle recently got a job offer in Japan he couldn't say no to; so my grandparents came to say goodbye to my Uncle Jacob and help me pack up my stuff, as we were selling the house my Uncle and I lived in. 

"I'll just be four states away, no sweat." Leila, one of my friends, glared at me as my other friend, Nicole, burst into tears, "Okay, okay, the trains about to leave. I need to go." I gave them a sad smile and one final hug then hopped onto the train and let the door shut behind me. As soon as I got on, the train began to move. 

I ran to the seats my grandparents were sitting in, and smushed my face against the glass, waving goodbye to my best friends. As  soon as they were out of sight, I slid into my seat and closed my eyes. I put in my earbuds and said goodbye to my home.

NOW

"One Greek Lemon cup coming right up," I pulled the lever for the frozen yogurt to come out and put the small cup under it, I added a combination of mangos and strawberries and handed it to the kid on the other side of the counter.

I gave his mother her change and smiled at them as she put her arm over his shoulder and they left, "Have a nice day!" I called out to them. It was late and time for closing, I was the only employee left. I sighed and took my apron off and started closing up. I decided to have a cup of frozen yogurt to reward myself then go home.

I filled up my own cup with the mint flavour and let go of the lever because my cup was full, but it wouldn't budge. Oh no, no, no, no! Please don't let this be happening to me! The yogurt kept pouring and ruined my new shoes, "Shit! Gran's gonna be pissed!" I whined, then remembered how screwed I was with my boss too, "I'm so fired." I mumbled.

Accepting the fact that I was getting fired whether I wanted to or not, I dejectedly slid down onto the growing puddle of cold green gunk. 

After about 15 minutes of licking frozen yogurt off my arms, I decided to call and see if any tech store in this mall was still open, one of their employees was bound to be able to help me, so I got up and unlocked the office in the back. 

I walked to the desk, my hands on the walls so I wouldn't slip and crack my ass. I pulled out the little mall phone book from the top drawer and called up about three tech stores till one actually answered, "Z-Tech, this is Ryan Adams, how may I help you?" 

Ryan Adams was a really quiet kid who went to my school, I didn't know he worked here, huh. The things you find out when you break a fro-yo machine, "Uh, yeah, this is Winter Dessert on the ground floor? Our yogurt machine won't stop and I'm currently drowning in Mint flavoured fro-yo, and I was wondering if you had anyone up there who could help me?"

She heard silence on the other line, "Hello?" she suddenly heard him laugh, "Right, right, I'll close up and be down there in a minute." The line cut off and I put the phone and left the office to wait for Ryan. 

As soon as I stepped out of the office, I realized I probably should've called him earlier. Whoops. "Okay then," I climbed onto the counter and stood up, like I used to do as a kid, when I'd pretend that the floor was lava. Now it was really deep, and really cold. Though, a lot of it was melting. 

I heard knocking and turned to my left, and saw Ryan on the other side of the glass door with a tool box and a grin. I waved him in, but saw him take his shoes and socks off, leaving them outside, before stepping in, smart kid. 

Ryan was attractive but, honestly, a mess. If he cut his hair, so it didn't cover his eyes, and wore decent clothes, and spoke to people, he'd be so popular. "You really like Fro-Yo, huh?" He asked absentmindedly as he stepped into the knee high mess. He set his toolbox next to my feet, on the counter.

He opened it and pulled out a wrench looking thing. As soon as he touched the machine, it started spluttering and stopped pouring. "You're magical.." I whispered, as my eyes popped out of my head, he turned his slightly pink face my way, and laughed, "It just finished all the Mint fro-yo."

Oh.

That made sense.

He grinned as my face dropped, "I knew that." 

"Mhmm." I looked at him in shock. Ryan never talked at school, let alone, laughed or acted like this. I liked this Ryan.

"There's no use staying, wanna head up to the food court, or have you had your fill on food?" He questioned, my stomach grumbled, "Guess that answers that question.

I jumped off the counter and took off my shoes and socks, as well. Ryan began walking out, "I should probably leave a note or something," I mumbled. "Right." he grinned.

I needed to start job hunting in the morning. Oh, goody.

= 954 WORDS

A/N: I hope you like this chapter, I promise I'll improve!! Add this book to your libraries please, to know when I'm updating!! Vote and comment please and thank you,, xx