Chapter One: Genesis

Start from the beginning

“Daughter,” he said loudly, leaning close to me ear. “You have a daughter.”

The whole world went black. 

***

There was a murmur of voices. 

I tried to discern how many, but I couldn’t. I definitely recognised two of them, though – high-pitched and sweet, with a streak of mischief. 

My sisters. 

I groaned and opened my eyes.

“Lyv?” one of the voices asked tentatively. 

I licked my dry lips and cleared my throat. 

“Where am I?” I asked hoarsely. 

“The hospital, the hospital, you’re at the hospital,” one of my sisters gabbled, while the other brought a cup to my lips. I downed the whole thing before blinking my eyes and once again focusing on the people in the room. 

If another person had seen these two girls, they’d have thought their vision was malfunctioning. 

But I knew better. 

Standing in front of me were two identical girls. They had slim bodies, and were around the age of fifteen – two years younger than I was. They had two identical heads of long, wispy blonde hair. Two identical faces, with round eyes and small noses. 

In other words, Alyssa and Allyra Stone. 

“Can you hear me?” Alyssa, who was often called Lyss, asked. I nodded. 

“Yes,” I croaked out. 

Allyra, who was often called Llyre, held out a tablet and another cup of water. 

“Drink, swallow,” she said softly, handing them over. I obediently lifted the tablet and cup to my lips and chugged everything down. And suddenly my hands were on my head, gripping my hair, as the memories from the past twenty-four hours came rushing back to me. 

“You remember?” Lyss smiled, combing her fingers through my hair. I nodded again. 

“Yes.”

I remembered everything – how I began going into labour, how I was rushed to the hospital almost without telling everyone – I’d given birth. 

“You couldn’t handle the pain,” Llyre gripped my hand. “So we had to give you a lot of strong painkillers. But you’re okay now.”

Lyss kissed my forehead. “You’re okay now.”

I smiled, already feeling better. 

“Help me up?” I asked. My twin sisters grinned. 

“My turn to click the button!” Lyss cried, grabbing the bed’s controller. 

“No way! It’s my turn now,” Llyre pouted. 

I rolled my eyes. “Just sit me up and get me my baby, please.”

Llyre saluted. “Yes, ma’am!”

I felt myself rising into a sitting position before a little child was dropped into my arms. My breath caught in my throat as I gazed down as what could only be described as the prettiest, cutest baby in the whole entire world. 

She was tiny. As in, smaller-than-my-forearm tiny. She could nearly fit into my hand, but even so, it still felt like she belonged, tucked tightly into my arms. Her hands were the soft things I’d ever felt as her miniscule fingers wrapped around my thumb. 

I looked up at Alyssa and Allyra, who were equally captivated by my daughter. 

My… daughter.