Chapter 9: Take it Straight to the Sky

A primped blonde woman, viewed from her torso, up, sat next to a yuppie man, his brown hair perfectly combed across his forehead. She shot him a forced look of friendliness and he chuckled, turning toward the camera. 

"That's right, Jan!" he said in a chipper tone. "Looks like rock bands like Bon Jovi and Def Leppard have their work cut out for them! It seems that a new band has taken the Strip. Jan."

She gave a gummy smile. "Although the last thing LA needs is another hair band, we've been sent a soundbite from White Lion records and Danny and I are impressed. Forget about Vixen and the Runaways-- Sinner, and all girl rock band, is swiftly gaining attention for breaking all the boundaries of a male dominated career without ever making a big deal about their gender. You've got Alex DeMatio on guitar, playing better than, I'm told, the likes of Brian May from Queen; Rizzy on bass, all leather clad--"

"--You can bet she's a fan favorite," Danny interrupted, grinning at the camera.

"--Oh, I'm sure she is, Dan! Debbie Winslow on drums, who an unnamed source called the hot-cookie of the band, and Brandi Emery on vocals, a little spitfire, the same source explains. We'll play a little taste of the girls' new album Broken Toy here on Channel Six, and do our friends over at White Lion a favor; check out these girls before the PMRC get ahold of them!"

A fat, hairy man stood before the camera with a microphone in hand, backstage as thousands of screaming people force him to turn his mic up. "Hi, Robertson Gill here, backstage at the Forum in Inglewood, California for a Whitesnake concert for you all watching MTV. Whitesnake are getting ready, so we'll pass the time and interview the opening band that are starting to gain a big following-- Sinner, the all girl metal band that just released their new album, Broken Toy."

Brandi stepped into view, her hair teased as high as it could go. She wore a leather bra, leather gloves, and leather pants with a silver belt, showing off her arm-full of tattoos. Alex was right beside her, her big hair sometimes viewable on camera she she swayed off camera.

"We welcome to MTV for the first time, Brandi Emery of Sinner!" He tilted the mic toward her.

Brandi grinned and waved. "Hey, people of MTV!"

Robertson Gill brought the mic back to his mouth. "Hanoi Rocks was supposed to open, but they canceled when they heard they had to preform beside a bunch of girls. How does this make you feel?"

Brandi rolled her eye, but before she could reply, Alex leaned over and spat, "Who needs them anyway, Hanoi sucks!"

"I think they're sexist assholes," Brandi snarled. "This is probably the first time they ever backed out last minute when it comes to a girl, though, right? They're mad awful musicians; I'd rather work with Michael Jackson."

Robertson laughed, tossing his head backwards. Debbie pushed her way onto the set and screamed, "Sinner!" before pulling her cut-up KISS shirt up and flashing the camera. She laughed and ran off, leaving Alex and Brandi to laugh hysterically. 

"Honestly, I've never met a band like you guys before," Robertson said. "Vixen makes a big deal about being girls, naming songs after makeup products and such, but you girls are the Joan Jett band we've long been waiting for! You're like one of the guys! What're you all up to next?"

Brandi opened her mouth wide and scratched her cheek mindlessly. "Well, we're heading over to Las Vegas soon to put the Cathouse out of business, and I believe Max Mahoney, our manager, said that Stryper would be opening for us."

"No way!"

Alex leaned in again, "Or at least they will be one day!"

Two mothers converged in a living-room themed set, sitting on soft chairs and crossing their legs. They introduced themselves and grew serious as the audience beside them silenced. "Kim, I gotta say," one with vibrant red hair said to the other, "I don't think the PMRC is doing their job. They let the slime called Sinner hit number two on the charts with Broken Toy. Did you hear the lyrics to their one song, Grindstone?"

"I did, Nanc!" the other gasped.

Nancy recited, "I'm not no Mary Magdalene, so don't be surprised when I sin.

I can make you feel alive, just shake the bee hive."

The audience gave a collective gasp. "I don't think they were talking about an actual bee hive, Nanc," Kim hissed with disgust.

"I think you're right, Kim." 

The whole of Sinner was collected in an immaculate office room on a large sofa, looking up into the brown eyes of their mafia-looking manager as he paced before them with his hands behind his back. Brandi sipped on a bottle of Jack Daniels and Rizzy smoked beside her. A sense of carefreeness surrounded the four of them as the lounged unhappily.

"Girls, the record sales are rising, but you need to tell me right now that you're all willing to travel all over America, not just LA and Vegas. We won't get enough followers in just two towns."

Alex spoke up. "We don't got a home or family, take us where ever you want to go."

He stopped pacing and studied the girls. "You've got to promise me not to take the bad news to heart. And Debbie, I don't ever want to see your tits on tv ever again, is that understood?"

"It sells records," Debbie explained and they girls chuckled in agreement. "You've got to show your tits every now and then, Max. You've just got to."

He ignored her and continued. "We're renting a bus and you girls are touring America. You'll be opening for Tesla for twenty-seven dates, with promotional appearances in Memphis, Atlanta, New York, and Austin, alright?"

"Tesla?" Brandi repeated incredulously. "Why not, like, Aerosmith or the Firm? Or the Blackhearts?"

Max grinned madly. "That's the beauty of it. This way you have a chance to over-shadow the headliner, drawing attention to you girls. This'll be great! You'll have all the perks! Practice starts tomorrow at eight-sharp, and we leave for the tour Friday. You girls are going to be the next Queen. Sinner has risen!"