8.

I am so sorry that I haven't updated in so long. Please accept my apology.
   My story is going to be sped up a bit and it is going to take a bit of a twisted turn.

Read at your own discretion.

•••

Cole, Liam and I were sitting in the cramped up lounge, on the couch watching TV. Jaun was not there because he decided to go live with my dad in Johannesburg. Needless to say, we were watching Totally Spies which was not much considering we only had six channels to choose from. It was between Totally Spies and a nature program about snakes.

Liam and I opting for Totally Spies and Cole for the snake snake program, Cole obviously lost.

Being the emotional child, Cole got up with a wobbling chin and walked away. Liam and I, feeling guilty, got up and walked after him. We all sat in line against the wall in the passage, looking out at the open space through the window.

"Cole. You can't always cry for things. Me and Liam both chose Totally Spies. It's two against one." I said.

"Yeah, Cole." Liam added.

With his chin still wobbling, Cole said, "But it's not fair. You don't like snakes. I do."

We all remained quiet for a while. I thought that the silence would make Cole forget about the stupid program and that we would end up colouring instead.

I was wrong.

The tears started pooling in his eyes and his breathing started to hitch. His face started getting red and his wailing louder.

"Cole, please. It's not fair if we change the channel. Next time you can choose what we watch. Okay?" I tried.

I did nothing good. Anything but.

The crying got louder and louder.

I sighed as I turned my head in the opposite direction so that I was not looking at my two brothers anymore. I was looking in the direction of the two steps that led to the corridor on the right.

There was a movement at the walls edge. My eyes moved to see my step father's head peaking out from behind the cold, white wall.

When he saw me looking, he moved away from the wall and stomped his way up the two steps and came charging towards me. His face was scrunched up in rage and his eyes were cold.

I started cowering back into the wall with my eyes wide and my mouth open. There was no way I was getting away.

My step father yanked me up from off the floor by my arm and pulled me after him. My little feet could not keep up so kept on stumbling.

He stepped down the steps while I fell down them. He then dragged me passed the bathroom on the left and to my room. He pulled me forward until I stood right in front of him and he proceeded to shove me into my room. I got a carpet burn but at that moment I didn't care.

"You don't talk to my boys like that. You have no right to. You aren't the adult here."

And I wondered if his two boys could hear him.

I sat there on my pink, little carpet, not daring to move in any way instead to just nod.

"You don't leave this room until I say so."

Again, I nodded.

Two hours later, the man I have learned to loathe came in and told me to entertain my brothers.

I did what I was told.