twenty six

Camari.

"Where does Justin think you are?" I asked Braelynn before we drove off of campus. "I told him that me and you were going out to lunch," she shrugged.

"You didn't tell him a specific place, did you?" She shook her I head. I sighed in relief,"Good. Cause the last thing we need is Justin Crazy Ass Bieber on our tail."

She pulled out of the parking lot and drove as I leaned back in the front seat.

"Where are we meeting her at?"

"McDonalds," I chuckled. "Its already in the GPS." She nodded and continued to drive.

I tried to ignore the jitters and butterflies in my stomach, but I just couldn't. For the first time ever, I'd be meeting my mom. It didn't even sound real--

"Camari," Braelynn knocked me out my thoughts. "What?"

"We're here," she chuckled. I nodded and when I got out the car I fixed myself up, looking at my reflection. Did I look alright?

"You look fine," Braelynn said as if she read my mind. "Let's just get this over with," she linked my arm in hers as we walked in.

We sat a table and I pulled out my phone, rereading me and Catrina's messages. "Is she here?" Braelynn asked,"Do you know what she looks like?"

I shook my head,"I've only seen her once I think, and I was real small. She said she was here, maybe she's in the bathroom," I shrugged.

We waited and waited. By the time we were ready to say fuck it and leave, a lady with black hair walked through the door. She was coming our way. "I think that's her," I said as I stood.

She stood in front of me,"Camari?"

"M-mom?" She smiled and pulled me in a tight hug, and I hugged back. It smelled like she hasn't bathed in days, but I didn't care. It felt nice to be in my mother's embrace for once.

We were crying on each other's shoulders and we didn't let go. She finally pulled back, her eyes watery. "You're so beautiful."

I smiled back and sniffed,"T-thank you. Have a seat," I beckoned. Braelynn smiled,"I'll leave you two alone. I'll be in the car." She squeezed my shoulder and walked out.

"How are you? Wow, look at the woman you've become," Catrina gushed at me. "You're pretty too, I see where I get my looks from," I grinned. She chuckled,"You do look a lot like me from my teenage years. 17, right? 18 in a couple weeks?" I nodded. "Yes ma'am."

"That's the reason I wanted to see you. I wanted to see my kid while she was actually a kid, yknow?"

"What took you so long?" I asked. "Your dad wouldn't go for it. I begged and begged him to let me see you, especially on your birthdays and holidays and stuff. He kept saying no," she said sadly.

"Well he can't control me anymore," I said firmly,"I've always wanted to meet you and talk you."

"I'm glad," she squeezed my hand,"I love you Camari. There hasn't been a day I haven't thought about you. I wanted you to grow up knowing you have a mom that loves you."

"Why didn't you get clean sooner?" I blurted out. Hey, I came here for answers, right?

She sighed,"I tried, it wasn't that easy. Whenever I got clean, I tried to get a house or apartment. Nobody would rent to me. I tried to get a job, no one would hire me. I felt hopeless, so I did the only thing I knew would accept me."

I felt tears falling down my face and she wiped them. "Don't cry for me, baby. I'm better now, I promise. I want to be in your life. I want to be a better person," her voice cracked. "I want to be clean, for real. I don't want drugs to take over my life. I don't want to feel hopeless anymore."

"Then don't," I squeezed her hand. "Like I said, it's not that easy--"

"Then let me help you," I offered. "I'm your daughter, I can help you get better." She shook her head,"You can't. I can't let you, your father will be upset."

"Forget about him. I offered it," I smiled.

"If you insist," she smiled back. "What do you need? Money? Food? Clothes? Boy," I chuckled,"I have a lot of those."

"Money," she said quietly,"If you have it. I don't want to be a burden."

"You're not," I shook my head. "I don't have any cash on me, though. Come on, let's go to the bank. I have a college fund," I stood. She smiled and grabbed her purse.

"Slow your fucking roll."

I turned to see my asshole brother. "Why are you here?" I yelled at him.

"Braelynn's not the best liar, in case you've forgotten. I followed y'all here, obviously. I listened to you talk to her. And I almost thought you proved me wrong, until I heard the money thing."

"Is it so bad that she needs help, Justin?"

"So she doesn't care if her own daughter goes into her college fund? Does that even sound right?"

"Shut up, Justin, move," I held Catrina's hand as I shoved my brother out my way. He grabbed Catrina's purse and held it up high.

"Forgetting this?"

"Justin, stop! Leave us alone," I said, exasperated. "This purse feels pretty full for it to belong to someone who's begging? Why is that?" Braelynn stood at the door and watched the whole thing in shock.

"Justin, please," Catrina said softly. Justin opened it and stacks of money tied in rubber bands fell out.

"W-what is this?" I stuttered. Catrina looked down at her feet.

"Asked your other kids for money too, huh? See, Mari? She gets pregnant, tries to get into her kids lives, tell them some sob story, and beg for money. And it looks like they were dumb enough to give it to you," Justin rolled his eyes,"Well not my sister. When my dad told me stories about women like you, I thought it was a myth. Guess not."

"Wait, you have more kids? I have more brothers and sisters?" I turned to Catrina. "Yes," she said sadly. "And you ... You tricked them?"

Catrina started to cry. "I'm sorry, Camari," she reached out to touch me and I slapped it. "Don't fucking touch me. You're sick, sick. Don't ever call or get in contact with me ever again or I'm reporting you for being a disgusting prostitute," I spat and ran out, leaving her bawling in her hands.

Justin followed me outside and hugged me while I cried hysterically. "I'm sorry, Camari. I really am."

"I should've listened to y'all. I'm an idiot," I said to myself. "No you're not, you're just a naive girl with a big heart," he kissed my forehead.

I chuckled,"Thank you?'

"I'm sorry too, Camari. All due respect, but fuck her," Braelynn spat. "Hell yeah, making me waste my precious tears. "

We laughed,"So you ready to go? Are you alright?" Justin made sure.

"Wanna jump her?"

I laughed,"Nah. Let's go back to campus. I owe someone an apology."