Never Say Nerd (THR33)

"Malina..." 

I repressed a sigh. The frequent phone calls from my mother had grown irritating, and frustrating. She acted as though she must know all the intricate details of every damn day of my schooling. What was I suppose to say? "Well mom, I've yet to go to any parties, I've yet to drink any alcohol, and I've yet to jump into bed with anyone of the opposite sex." Though there was an awkward late night moment when a drunk Iryna accidentally passed out in my bed beside me.    

"Mom, I have to go." I told her in a rush. I could get off with ducking our conversation only during school hours (like I had been doing for the past two weeks), but since it was a Friday night I was forced to pick. "Iryna is here, we're going to a party." I lied, at least about the party part. 

When I flipped my phone shut I noticed Iryna watching me her face showing a mix of confusion and excitement. "You're coming too?!" She was gleeful like a little girl, presented with a new set of dolls.

"No," I scoffed, "I just wanted my mother to leave me be. Anyway, I have to finish my english report on the Canterbury Tales." I lied about the english report too, I had finished it days ago.

Iryna looked downtrodden. "Oh, come on! You have even gone to a party yet! And like, the english report can wait. Look here, I can pick you out a superduper cute outfit that shows off your assets! - and you know who taught me that word? Assets? You did. See you taught me a word, so you like have to go to the party. It means like curves and stuff right?" She grinned at me from across the room, before digging through my drawers. "And all your clothes," Her voice was muffled now, "They are the cutest things I ever seen in my entire effin' life. Like, if you don't wear them, it's a sin against fashion - and what better time to were them....then a party!?"

I only stared at her in shock. Sometimes I wondered about her caffeine consumption/sanity. "I don't want to go - Iryna, your boy friend hates me and I know you're going to cavort around with him tonight just as you do every other day and I will not be what you call a "third wheel". From what I gather that's a pretty terrible position."

"No." Iryna said firmly. "We'll go out, just girls. Like, who needs Chase? I can see him tomorrow! Comeee onnnn Maliiiiinaaaa!" 

In no time flat Iryna had forced me into a silky silver tank top and a pair of dark wash jeans, as I struggled and fought back - I never would've thought that an ex-cheerleader would have so much strength. Then, with flecks of triumphs in her eyes, she handed me a pair of dark blue pumps. "You, are ready."

I glared at my reflection in the mirror. "You aren't going to try and paint my face or flat iron my hair to a crisp?"

Iryna shook her head. "Nah, you look fine. Your hairs got the whole wavydarklong thing going on and I wouldn't dare mess with that. As for make-up, you'll probably sweat it off."

"Sweat?" I asked her curiously as we walked down the hall, my taller frame following her fashionably clad body. With every swing off her hips her short dark green mini would flip up slightly. I wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been for the occasional guys staring at her rear, and call out obscenities at her. They had to of known that her and Chase were together, but I figured that maybe cat calling other guy's girlfriends was normal in boarding school. 

"You know, when you're getting' down and - hey will you move?" She suddenly snapped at an innocent bystander who was unintentionally blocking the door to outside. When they looked up in surprise at Iryna's angry eyes, I saw it was Fawn. 

Her pale hair was pulled into a loose braid at the base of her neck, and she held a black six-string guitar on her lap. "Sorry, Iryna." She threw back eyes bright with distaste, stunning me. The Fawn I sat with everyday at lunch was never hostile or even remotely unkind, always open to other people - even the unnecessarily annoying freshmen, which was an extremely hard thing to manage.

I tried to say something to her, but Iryna had already drug me past Fawn as she gathered up her guitar and other things then walked back inside.

"I hate that - freak." Iryna murmured, flashing glares back towards the dormitory. "She walks around this school like she's some innocent little girl when she two-faced bitch." Her face was set on believing that, as she made her way over the boy's dormitory gliding across the pavement easily. Her black heels clicked on the walk way and her locked her hand on my wrist. “But like, forget her. We're going to party tonight.”

And party...we did. Later on Iryna would explain to me that the events of that night were not actually that “hype” (her word, not mine), even though I lost both my shoes and a toenail, while Iryna lost her bra and someone cut off a strand of her hair. She claimed it was an over all low-key night.

I didn't drink, not a drop. Iryna had shoved quite a few red cups into my hand, encouraging intoxication – but I figured if everyone else was drunk, why would I need to be?

“So...yougotfun?” Iryna's hair was mussed and knotted, her eyes bright and mascara coated eyelash stuck together, but she still managed to piece a sentence together so I decided her intoxication wasn't to severe.

“Yes. Tonight was...delightful.” I answered, lacking a better word.

“Yeah...” She laughed slightly, almost uncontrollably. We were sitting in the boy's dormitory, on the floor of common room empty plastic cups, shoes, and other articles of clothing astrewn around us. I was surprised by the security at this school, not one teacher of member of staff had tried to break up the party.

“Can I go...Chance. Chase Chase. I wanna Chance chase Chance.” She laughed once more.

I laughed with her, barely understanding her drunken babble. "You wish to find Chance. Go, I'll be fine." She crawled to the door and disappeared into the hall. I looked around the room, trying not to cringe at my surrounding. I imagined the room I sat in was usually dirty, my mind playing upon the stereotype that an all-male's dormitory would be filthy - though I doubted the bra was an of the boys. 

I rose to my feet, wishing I still had shoes, and began to walking around the room collecting up the thrown away cups. I cleaned up those first because in comparison to the other items in the room they were substantially smaller and lighter.

"What are you doing?..." I turned to find Lewis, who was regarding me with a curious look on his face. I flushed and dropped the stack of sticky alchol coated cups I was holding. 

"Nothing." I murmured, casually running a hand through my long dark hair, continuing to wish for a pair of shoes. 

"Right..." He responded awkwardly. "Is there anyone else here or are you just chillin', cleaning..."

"Um. No. 'Chillin', 'Cleaning', would be the correct assumption." A small smiled touched my lips. But before i realized Lewis had moved he was standing in front of me only inches away. My breath caught and I look at him in utter confusion. "Lewis?"  

He kissed me. I was shocked as his hands wove into my hair and he held my face against his. I moved my hands to hold him too but he let go and pushed away. He was breathing heavily, and looking disgruntle - almost upset. 

"Sorry." He muttered. "I thought kissing you would change things. Make me forget he - just that didn't happen..." 

A/N: I'm just going to publish it as is...