Whatever You Fear

Hello!

This story is kinda random...

It's also a little depressing, but that's what happens when your feeling unwell.

Don't you just hate viral infections?

Oh well, enjoy!

_________________________________________________

The luminescent mist just floated silently before my round pale blue eyes as its eerie presence dimly lit the photo frames on walls in the room. In almost each photo frame was a girl with distinct coral coloured hair. Freckles were scattered across her face like sprinkles on a donut and her eyes, despite their icy blue colour, were full of warmth. The face of the girl belonged to me.

‘I can help you…’

The voice of a whispering child echoed around the rooms, scampering up the walls and across the ceiling only to rattle around in my brain. A sheet of water covered my eyes as I curled into a ball and let out a soft whimper. I instantly realised who the voice belonged to… Emmy.

It was my entire fault, and it killed me to hear her offering me help. If only I cared a little bit more, just enough to stop her…

All of a sudden, the memories of the day she left flashed across my heavily watering eyes. She was my only friend and I didn’t realise the horrible things that had happened to her. I didn’t realise, simply because I was too thick, too foolhardy. I didn’t understand why the taunts and gossip that affected so much.

Emmy is dead, dead to my least favourite word, dead to the word ‘suicide’. And because I couldn’t care enough, I’m just as bad as a murderer.

‘Emmy?’ I whispered, my voice cracking slightly.

‘Emmy?’ the voice repeated softly, ‘I am not Emmy, I… I…’

My shoulders tensed and I felt a shiver speed down my spine. If the voice didn’t belong to my friend, then who’s voice was it? And why were they so hesitant in saying who or what they really were.

‘Why so hesitant?’ I asked cautiously, Emmy’s face still drifting in my mind.

‘I am a,’ the voice paused, then let out a deep sigh, ‘I am a lost spirit!’

A small gasp escaped my lips before I could stop it, as my body automatically shifted away. ‘And why do I need help?’ I questioned, my voice shaking slightly at the likley hood of a lost spirit wondering around in my bedroom.

‘Don’t be scared, I only want to help you with whatever you want, as long as you can help me find my way home.’ said the spirit, as if it had been hurt.

‘I don’t need help!’ I said loudly, only to realise how rude this sounded. ‘But I’m sure there’s someone else who is happy to help.’

‘There isn’t… most people call the police. They assume I am a practical joke and those who considered helping either figured it would be too difficult, or declined after hearing where my home was.’ Muttered the spirit sounding more depressed than ever.

‘Where is your home?’ I asked. If the spirits home was close by, then it couldn’t be that hard to help, could it?

‘Death.’ Whispered the spirit as the mist swirled around the room, illuminating more picture frames and coincidently stopping at a large photo placed in an ornate, silver frame. Inside the frame was a picture of Emmy and myself. ‘If you do this, I will let you see this ‘Emmy’ if that is what you truly want.’ Continued the spirit.

I reasoned with myself. My parents often work and don’t come home often. This excuse for a home was just an empty shell to me. Yes, this home was going to drive me to insanity. In fact, I think I’m already insane.

‘I’ll do it, but may I ask why you sound so much like Emmy?’

The ghost let out another sigh. ‘It’s unfortunate, but I sound like whatever you sorely miss… and I guess that is why I sound like ‘Emmy’. Are you sure you want to come with me? Do you promise?’

‘Alright, I promise.” I said with determination.

Suddenly, the mist started swirling around the room again, coming closer to me with each circle. Eventually, it was constricting me like a powerful snake and cutting off my airways. I was going to die.

‘No!’ I screamed. ‘No! I don’t want to die! I DON’T WANT TO DIE!’ The tears welled up in my eyes again as my chest heaved heavily in and out, trying to breathe.

‘I’m sorry miss, a promise is a promise and it is something you cannot break.You said you wanted to see 'Emmy'. And when you die, Your soul will locate death automatically and I can follow.’

My eyes blurred from all the tears as my screams turned into gags and chocking noises. I was dizzy from lack of air. My ribs felt like they would snap any second…

Every thing went black. Where was I? But then a voice, different to the one I heard earlier, spoke. It did not belong to anyone I knew, but its speaker was young, maybe five or six? Their voice reminded me of life…

'What do I sound like?' The spirit teased.

Life. If the spirit was talking then why does it sound like life?

And then it hit me… I was dead.

___________________________________________

Vote, comment, Fan!

Constructive criticism is as welcome as a jar of cookies :)

Bah Bye,

CookieOfLife e.e