Chapter 1

I shuffled around in my dresser drawers as I rushed to get dressed, I had to look my best today was the day; the day my best friend and I become more than just best friends! Or well that’s what I’m assuming, for as long as I can remember I’ve felt more for my dear friend Eric, his smile melt my heart, his laugh made my stomach do a front flip, his touch made me weak at the knees. For years we joked about how we would make the perfect couple, I had to listen to him tell me he didn’t think he would ever find the right person for him, for years I held back yelling I’m right here you idiot! Now today I get the message I’ve been waiting for, I rush to the answering machine to replay the message for the millionth time.

“Hey…Mia I really need to talk to you today….about something super important. It’s about well um, I really don’t want to say it over here it will be so much better in person. Just please meet me at six at the park under our tree…um well, see ya later, bye!” he awkwardly stammered throughout the whole thing, I wasn’t sure at first but when he said under our tree it just clicked as I recalled the day I told him that I would love for a guy to take me under there in the moonlight and tell me they loved me. I rushed even more now as I saw it was now five thirty, I pulled on a little black dress and a pair of flats I mean we are going to a park it would be stupid to wear heels. I ran to my full length mirror and examined how I looked the black dress fit my curvy body perfectly. My tan skin shiny and soft from the extra coat of lotion I added, my caramel colored hair fell down my back with a hint of curliness in it, just a tad bit of makeup to make my greenish hazel eyes stand out more, simple, yet dressy…hmm…well maybe a pair of jeans would look better like I didn’t know what was going to happen… I was thinking as I glanced back over at the clock “Ahh, I don’t have time this will have to do!” I say to myself as I grab my silver little purse and my car keys as I ran out the door.

I pulled up to the park and in the distance I could see a shadow under our tree, I smiled knowing it was Eric, and then took a deep breath as I approached him. “Hey, what’s up?” I ask casually as I stepped in front of him with a soft smile,

“Oh thank god you’re here!” he says pulling me into a dramatic hug,

“Yes, yes of course I am! Now what’s wrong?” I ask while laughing in his bear hug taking in his amazing scent,

“Well…” he says finally letting go and taking a step back. He ran his hand through his head of pitch black thick wiry Italian hair as he continued, “I have to tell you something,” he started then paused again, I nodded for him to go on. “See…I think I’m gay…”

“Me too!” I say the exact same time he spoke,

“Wait what?” we both asked looking at each other completely puzzled,

“Oh my gosh this is perfect!” he exclaimed, “I was starting to think you had a crush on me, I mean whoa talk about awkward if that was the case.” He says with a light chuckle and a sigh of relief,

“Yeah that would be…crazy.” I say with an awkward laugh, as I step closer to the tree and sink down to the ground. He sat down beside me putting his arm over me pulling me in closer unknowingly breaking my heart just a little more.

 “You know this explains a lot. I mean the whole you never really dating anyone, you wearing jeans ALL THE TIME, you like sports, you hate the color pink, I don’t know why I didn’t see it sooner.” He says staring off into the distance,

“Wait see what?” I ask completely lost again, my mind was all over the place

“That you’re gay, silly!” he says finally looking at me, “Oh wow look you’re wearing a dress…what’s the special occasion?” he asks squeezing me a bit tighter,

“Oh um…nothing.” I say awkwardly running my hand through my hair, feeling like a complete idiot.

“Oh well you look…fabulous!” he says in a very girly way, I looked at him then we both burst into laughter. “Okay, I guess I’m not THAT gay!” he says I smile past my broken heart, how could he break my heart yet still make me smile and laugh like no one else could? I scoot in closer to him and wrap my arms around his waist, I really wish today could have been the day…I guess that day will never come. I thought as I rested my head on his shoulder and fought back tears.