Chapter 1 - Hunt. Feed. Kill.

He sat back in the oversized mahogany and suede chair staring dully at the burning fireplace before him. The dancing flames illuminated the dark space, giving a golden glow to his pale, alabaster skin. His hair, disheveled and overgrown, fell alongside his face and wisped over his eyebrows carelessly. Many were worried to see their employer in such a state—so pensive, so isolated. It had been nearly a week from his last meal and those around him feared that his resolve would snap at any given moment and they wished to be far away when he did. You see, it was six long days ago when he dared remember of love. She came to him in his sleep…his mother that is. Memories of what he once was. Human. Playing in golden and crimson leaves piled high as she chased him. Her faint laughter still echoed in his ears, in his memory, forever etched there to taunt him of the life he once had. He missed what many of us take for advantage in today’s age—the sound of a heartbeat. Silent to most of our careless ears, it was a beautiful thing to him. The sound, so fulfilling and warm, reminded him of life, of how it felt to fill your lungs with cool, crisp autumn air. His mind raced to his later years, the years he fell in love only to be ripped away from it when he was plagued with an undying curse, literally. He would never die…or he’ll live in death for an eternity.

After centuries of mourning in his own self-pity, he took it upon himself to erase the memories of life he once had. They would only weaken him. Love never existed, life was a horrible game and people were only pawns in it. That is when he learned to survive. He chased to kill, killed to feed, and fed to do it all over again the next day. Soon he found a thrill in the game. It was an addictive sedative that helped him numb away the pain he once had. His heart, now still, grew colder with each kill, but his mind grew stronger. Eventually, he blocked away every memory he once possessed of his human life.

Until now.

‘Why now?’ he scowled himself. His bold, blue eyes burned intensely into the flames. Flickers of gold, orange, and red reminded him of those Fall leaves he once played in, the warm shimmer in his mother’s brown eyes…memories. Damn them.

Growling his frustration, he rose from his chair, tossing the now empty Scotch glass into the flames. With that, his resolve finally snapped. With a roar from deep in the pit of his stomach he called for his housemaid, Leah.

“Is there anything I can get for you, Sir?” she was a mousy girl, no older than seventeen, but the daughter of his trusted groundskeeper.

“Make sure no one interrupts me tonight. Understood?” he growled, tearing away his shirt as he stalked towards his bathroom. With a nod, Leah did just that. She rushed out of the room, wide-eyed and worried, searching for her father.

It was time to play the game once more.

Hunt.

Feed.

Kill.

…and damn it, he was hungry.

Not long later, Austin left his house, showered, dressed and ready to impress. Now, he was on his hunt.

He drove, quietly edging out what he was in the mood for tonight. Normally, he steered away from the city. You know, too much unwanted attention. He preferred more rural areas, but tonight he felt a bit risqué. Maybe some attention might add to the thrill of the hunt? He smiled calmly at himself.

Eventually, he found himself inside of a thriving nightclub, cautiously weeding out sour milk from exquisite wine. His hunger told him to be quick, but his eyes wanted to linger a bit longer. His senses were heightened, making the process evermore exciting.  He wanted sweet. He wanted fresh. He wanted something that’ll make his mouth crave for more. Sooner than later, he moved along the club, carefully weaving between people as he stalked out his prey through the heavy scents of liquor, sweat, and perfume. He thought he would have to settle for less until he caught scent of vanilla and sugar cookies. Quickly turning around to meet the smell, he brushed against a short brunette who glared up at him.

“Would you at least be careful?” she snapped, shaking her head. “Why the hell did I come here?” she added with a growl as she walked away. Surprisingly, he found himself all the more curious and all the more hungry.  With his hunger on edge, he had to be quick, even if that meant choosing something made with sour milk. So, he found another brunette, a bit taller in height, but less sober than the sugar cookie he wanted to sample. It took a few words and a handful of smirks, but he lured her back to his car, where she laid back as he drove her to his house.

“Are we going to your place or mine?” she smiled lazily, gazing over at him through glazed eyes.

“Mine,” he replied, skimming his hand over her milky thigh.

She murmured something incoherently before leaning back in her seat.

Prey captured.

The hunt was over.

Austin knew this would be an easy kill and an easier lay. The girl was drunk out of her mind and she wouldn’t know what hit her. He would make quick work of it, disposing of her by the river bank. All he needed was her blood…and the thrill of the kill.

Cold and heartless as it was Austin couldn’t care less. Sure she was someone’s daughter, but he too was someone’s son once and just like they didn’t care, he wouldn’t either. It was the natural thing to do. Vampires were supposed to be scary, weren’t they?

~*~

It was much to his surprise when he woke up to an insistent pounding coming from the front door. He knew that both Leah and Grayson, her father, had finished their shift last night and were off for the remainder of the week. Groaning in annoyance, he rolled out of bed and headed towards the front door.

“What could possibly be so important that you’re waking me up so damn early in the morning?” he snapped angrily, raking a hand through his hair as he swung open the door.

“Where’s Valerie?!” a feisty brunette demanded, placing both hands on her hips firmly.

“Who?” he groaned, blinking the sleep away from his eyes.

“The girl you brought here last night,” she snapped. As Austin finished blinking the sleep away from his eyes, they focused in on the most intense brown ones he had ever come across. Surely enough it was the same sugar cookie he stumbled upon at the club last night. She stood there, pin-straight hair falling over her shoulders and breasts, as she tapped her foot impatiently.

“Listen, I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he replied, scratching the back of his head once again, “You’re obviously confused.”

“I followed her here last night. I know she’s here.”

“Are you like her babysitter or something? If so, I think she’s a little too old for that,” he continued, “Would you like to come inside and see for yourself? She left after our little…well, you know what I mean,” he finished with a sly smirk. Austin moved away, allowing her space to go inside and inspect for herself, which quite honestly, she wasn’t going to pass up. The brunette walked inside, cautiously scanning the foyer.

“Where’s your bedroom?” she asked, turning to meet his still bare chest. She wasn’t sure if it was her impatience that made that little detail slip past her just a few moments ago, but now that her temper was calming, she couldn’t help but flush at the realization that he was standing in front of her shirtless and ripped.

“A little forward, don’t you think? I didn’t peg you as that type of girl,” he grinned mischievously, almost instantly making her palms sweat.

Clearing her throat and rolling her eyes away from his chest, she replied, “You know what I mean.”

“I do. Don’t I?” he chuckled and it was a sinful chuckled that made the hair on the back of her neck stand on end. “My name is Austin, by the way. I figure we at least get on a first name basis since we’re already heading towards the bedroom.”

“You’re horrible,” she groaned, rolling her eyes as she headed toward the stairs. Austin followed closely behind her, watching her with a teasing smile.

“I guess we’re not on a first name basis?”

“I’m here for my friend and that’s all.”

“…and I told you that she wasn’t here, but you insist on checking my bedroom. If you wanted to get me in the sack, all you had to do was ask.”