Chapter Five

My first week at Princeton Academy was over, and it was now the weekend. The school didn't really do anything special on weekends, other than the formal dinner every Saturday night. Tay was so excited to do my makeup. I was kind of scared. While Tay's makeup skills were extremely impressive, her use of bright colors worried me. While bright blue eye shadow and purple lipstick looked fierce on her, they would just make me look silly. Or like a clown who didn't get to the makeup section of clown school yet.

I had been laying on my bed, trying to get some homework done when suddenly Tay slammed open the door to our room and said, "Time to get ready!"

I glanced at the clock, panicked because I thought it was later than I realized. I groaned at the unnecessary heart attack. It was only three.

"We have four hours," I said with a roll of my eyes as I went back to writing my math equation.

"Shower. Hair. Make-up. Finding accessories. Getting our dresses zipped up. That four hours will go by quickly. So chop-chop!"

"I have homework!"

"You have tomorrow and tonight to do that!"

"What if I wanted to go to the campus church tomorrow morning?!"

Tay gave me a disbelieving look and we both laughed.

Despite my complaints, I finally got up and hopped into the shower.

Tay really was right. It did take four hours to get ready. I'm pretty sure it only took me one hour last week, but then again, I had been incredibly distracted by unpacking.

On the bright side, we looked absolutely fantastic. Tay made my makeup look wonderful. (No clown school for me!) I wondered how Mark would react?

Tay and I walked to the cafeteria, where all the snooty, plastic girls were hanging out and flaunting themselves to the boys. Once again, I felt totally insignificant compared to their beauty, as fake as it was, and their beautiful outfits. Guess that's what happens when you go to a rich school.

Tay and I went to sit at a table, when all of a sudden I felt a breeze behind me, and a male voice saying, "Wait."

I turned and saw Mark, his blond hair shimmering under the dim lights as he pulled out my chair for me. I felt myself break into the stupidest, awkwardest, grin I have ever given in my life. Not to mention, I felt my cheeks flush with an unflattering shade of tomato-blush red.

Mark smiled oh-so-seductively, and I sat down.

"You didn't have to do that," I commented, still smiling like an idiot.

Mark sat in the chair next to mine, and said, "Of course I did! It wouldn't be a formal dinner without a guy catering to your every need, right?"

I giggled. "I've been managing without your help for the past sixteen years. I think I'll be fine."

Mark smiled, and said, "Yeah, I know. I just wanted a reason to sit with you."

I smiled and bit my lip. Damn, was he something else. Is it wrong that every time I looked at him, I just prayed with all my might that he'd take his shirt off? Or just push me to the ground and make out with me? Yes? Okay.

"Well, feel free to!" I replied.

Tay made a gagging noise. I looked over and saw her smiling mischievously. I tore off a piece of my paper napkin and flicked it at her.

"Hey! That's un-ladylike!" Tay exclaimed dramatically.

"Your mother is un-ladylike," I replied with a snort.