Chapter 1: Seeing things

Originally written by the username: NEMOinthesea ( me ) please FOLLOW-RATE-VOTE😍

3:47 pm Tuesday October 28th

The wind was strong. The leaves flew and spun in the wind hitting each other like ballerinas doing the wrong steps. They stuck to the park gate hard. The leaves were trying to push it out of their way so they could carry on travelling. The park was best in autumn, the range of coloured trees: red and yellow, green and this maroon purple colour made it look like a painting.

Cale sat under the maple looking at the trees with wonder then going back to glancing though his 'memories'. This was a little blue book filled with photos of his parents before he was born; the hike in the Lapland of Sweden, oh those beautiful northern lights in the background and the elephants in Thailand with my mum's mouth half filled with curry.

Photos were all he had. There was an occasional blurred memory that showed nothing. They were just flashes of light and the rush and pain. His parents died four years ago. It didn't seem that long to him. The worse thing is, he doesn't remember anything.

"Hello, I thought you'd be here." Lisa popped out of nowhere to scare him.

"What's that smell..." Cale held his nose

"Wild salmon, avocado, blueberry relish, and sesame seeds" she moaned

"It's the new psychologist, he's really weird. He tells my parents to fill my diet with 'foods that will help function the brain. If you ask me, he's the one who needs the treatment. Not me. what a jerk."she said while crossing her arms like she didn't care.

"Why do you need a psychologist anyway, what? Have you got problems up there?" Cale said as he gestured to his left temple

She sniggered then instantly turned sad "I...see things I guess. I'm not really supposed to talk about it" she mumbled in her funny English accent.

Lisa was really nice to Cale, she was the only one who understood him. Talked to him. So he felt bad to interfere with her personal life.

She was not the person you would think to be crazy. She had brown hair and cherry lips that went a lovely dark shade of magenta when she was cold. She had creamy skin and boring brown eyes that matched her hair. She was wrapped up to the chin with alpaca wool and an owl beanie on her head. Cale stared at the wide eyed owl and its patchwork.

"Nice time of year to come here," she said sarcastically

"I love it in late autumn, all the frost makes it look so majestic."- "your right " she replied

"Can I Bunk with you for a few days, the hutch is freezing" he said with a shiver

Cale lost everything when his parents died, everyone ignored him, never talked to him. Sometimes people would just look, it did seem they were looking at something behind him though.he didn't sleep much and didn't eat. Not because he was sad but he just couldn't do it.

" sure "she gave a wink and walked to the gate. Cale followed.

Together they shuffled there way across the patches of snow to Lisa's house on the corner of the street.

"Go back to the looney bin Lisa, with the Mad hatter for company!" They heard a boys voice from the mist then a sphere shaped object came spinning towards us, oh no. It was a wet snow ball that turned to slush on Lisa's woollen sweater.

" GET LOST! " she yelled

She wiped off the slush but it left a trail of water that didn't soak in, just stayed in little droplets on the wool.

"Come on!" She moaned

"Why didn't they hit me?" Cale asked

"They probably didn't see you, it's a misty one tonight." She didn't seem to be very interested in the subject of weather. They turned up at Lisa's house and the parents welcomed them in like guardians leading little children to heated heaven.

"Hello Lisa, care for some cheesecake. It's a new recipe I'm working on." Said Lisa's mum cheerfully

"No thanks, this is my friend Cale" She smiled

"Oh.....um....hi Cale" she gave a fake smile and didn't even shake hands with him, just gave Lisa a weird look.

" your parents let anyone in hey?" He asked

"Yeah there pretty easy, I bet they would let a burglar in if he said please" she laughed and Cale smiled at her. There were letters on the table addressed to Lisa Rodrien 46 chetter court Toronto Canada.

" what does it say,"he asked

"Just boring stuff"she said

Cale could see it was from the Toronto institute of mental illness on the back, but he didn't comment. Her house was Regular and mostly a browny green colour that Cale hated. Even the furniture matched the carpet like chameleons blending in with there surroundings.

" you don't mind the attic do you? " she commanded, it wasn't really a question but he answered it never the less.

"No, it's fine." He said

He dropped his boxes and unpacked cloths, pillows, and other items. Webs fell like rain from the dusty ceiling, cockroaches emerged
from everywhere when he lifted the old stereo to make room. He didn't mind but something about this attic reminded him of his hutch, except the hutch was much smaller. He sighed and went downstairs.

Henry was Lisa's brother. He was a typical 17 year old, and was preparing himself for something.

" Jeez mum, this sweater makes me look like gran." He tried to pull it off

"Darling, gran is dead. Remember?" said Lisa's mum Jennifer

"That's the point mum!" he yelled

Cale was disgusted he would say this about someone who's dead. That comment proved that Henry was arrogant, ungrateful and full-of- himself.

"So where's this party, no alcohol right?" Jennifer said with her hands on her hips

"Ar....no....no I'm to young for that" he was a terrible actor.

"Be back by nine, ok" said Jennifer

"Whatever" Henry left the house

Lisa's father Charles didn't really say much himself, he was a silent person with his news paper being his very best friend. He had a ginger beard with a long face and dopey eyes, a face like a horse with a red facial hair growing off his chin as if it was a contagious disease.
Jennifer was completely the opposite, blonde curly hair and practically no neck at all. They ignored Cale, like everyone else.

"Charles, I'm worried. What if he gets in a fight" Jennifer walked back and fourth

Charles grunted

" I suppose we will have to call him," she said

Charles grunted

9:33am Wednesday October 29th

"Over here," she whispered

I turned around and she was hanging upside-down from the one of the exposed rafters, Lisa's hair was like fire hanging down from her head.

"Hey gonna go to cemetery with me?" She said

"Right now.." He shivered

"That's when it's the funnest, silly" she flicked back her hair and clawed down right way up. She grabbed his hand hard and took him
to a window in her room.She whispered that this was her secret way out. She climbed out and down to the ground.

"Come on! It's easy" she put out her hands in support.

"Are you sure where allowed," Cale said

"Who cares, there not up yet." She grabbed my arms and pulled me out.

It was another cold morning of snow and frost, Lisa puffed the dust out of her owl beanie