Chapter 12

Chapter twelve

I get woken up by someone who pokes me. I blink my eyes. It's still dark. Then I realize what I've done. I slept! I immediately sit up, but my hand hits someone. I wonder who woke me up. I turn my eyesight and see Warren rubbing his chin.

"Warren?!" I exclaim surprised.

"I must admit, you have quite some strength." He frowns.

"What are you doing here?" I tilt my head a bit to the side.

"Is that all you have to say after I searched for you all this time?"

"You did? Why?" I blink my eyes.

"Why do women ask so many questions?"

"You just did yourself."

"Ah yes. So it seems." He chuckles a little.

I give him the I-demand-an-answer look. "You still haven't replied."

"Well, I sought you. My master has given me the order to protect you."

Master? I want to ask who that is, but then he adds: "I saw what happened earlier, so I made sure I was close though I lost you along the way."

I flinch. I still sense the dark, empty hole in my heart. With every passing second the hole expands. My intestines shrink together. I shiver. It wasn't a dream. It's real. Shakey doesn't want me anymore. I'm all alone now. I don't dare to return. I try to get up on my feet again. It surprises me how weak my legs feel. It hurts me that Shakey won't be there with me anymore. My heat is broken, yet the light is still shinning brightly. Strangely, it feels so unreal. I don't know if it'll fade, even though he started this thoughts clearly. However, there is something I need to finish for myself.

"Sorry, I have to go now." I mumble loud enough for him to hear. He stops me by grabbing me by my shoulder.

"Wait," His expression is serious, "You're trying to find your past, right?"

Hope flickers in me. I stare at him and nod.

"I can help you. There's a reason my master asked me to watch over you. He has the answers you seek. I can take you to him."

The rational side of me warns me to be careful. Honestly, what do I know about Warren? Not much, that's certain. On the other hand, I don't have that many possibilities. It's a lead that I can follow. Fortunately, I have my sword and daggers with me, so if it turns out that he's lying, I can fight.

"Ok, bring me to him please." I concede.

"Sure, I will." He happily beams at me. The sparkle of my desire is glad. At last, the moment of truth is drawing near.

"But first," He looks at me, "You should take a shower. You're covered with mud. I know an old lady who lives in a small house nearby. She'll let us stay over. We should catch some sleep before we visit the master."

I glance down at myself and just like he said, I'm covered. Probably because I fell earlier. I blush a bit.

"Agreed." Right after that, Warren takes my hand and tags me along with a smile. My mind drifts off to Shakey and his harsh words. I still can't believe it. Why?

~

He jumps up from his place. An uneasy feeling stings him. Something's wrong. It's as if a knife stabbed through his heart. He's worried. What's this pain?

"What's wrong?" Leonie queries to him.

Shakey sighs and replies while running his hand through his hair: "I don't know. I'm concerned about Jolyne. She hasn't returned yet. I'll go search for her."