Chapter 4

AN: Poor Kolya, things are only getting worse for him, huh? Let me know what you think.

-

Chapter 4:

The part of the garden that was under construction was a mess. Torn up grass, broken pavers, plants broken at the stems; the entire day’s work was ruined. It made Kolya’s heart sink all the way into the pit of his stomach.

When Kale told him that the site had been vandalised, Kolya was expecting maybe a few broken pavers, upturned plants, that sort of thing done by a group of punks looking for kicks and giggles. But he wasn’t expecting carnage. It was like someone had purposely set out to destroy the work that Kolya and his team had done.

Kids looking for a way to cure their boredom didn’t do this. Now, this was savage.

And Kolya couldn’t help but feel that he was being targeted. He wasn’t expecting to be welcomed back to Maui with open arms, maybe a bit of resentment, but he most certainly wasn’t expecting that.

“Don’t touch anything,” Kale warned him as Kolya knelt down to inspect more of the damage.

“Just a minor inconvenience, yeah?” Kolya managed to put on a brave face. “Shouldn’t take long for me and the guys to fix.”

Kale didn’t look all that convinced, but he didn’t say anything as he cast a glance around the garden through narrow and contemplating eyes. He seemed to be mulling something over in his head. He had that kind of look that Kolya had seen before, many times, six years ago.

That hadn’t changed about him, Kolya was oddly relieved to realise.

A police officer joined them, and Kolya guessed that he was the lead officer in charge. He spoke a few brief words with Kale while Kolya rose to his feet, looking around at the destruction with a sense of awkward vulnerability. Kale must have sensed this, no, he did sense it. He was always able to tell when something was bothering him.

Kale called him over and introduced him to the officer, explaining that he was the supervisor of the new garden project. The feel of Kale’s hand on the small of his back was comforting.

“It looks like a targeted attack,” the officer known as Charles explained quickly, tilting his head slightly in a motion for them to follow him, which they did, Kale still lightly touching Kolya discreetly. “A truck in the parking lot had also sustained damage.”

…A truck in the parking lot?

Kolya felt the colour drain from his face and his stomach churn. He had already sent his crew away for the night, so only his truck should have been left in the parking lot. So, the chances were that…

Shit, shit, shit! He was causing trouble for Kale once again!

A small voice in the back of his head reasoned that maybe it wouldn’t be his truck; maybe it belonged to someone else. And he held onto that small bit of hope. But the moment he saw the damaged truck, surrounded by police tape and uniform policemen, that hope was immediately destroyed.

Yeah, it was his truck that was vandalised.

The windows were smashed, the windscreen shattered and the tires punctured. But what really made Kolya feel sick to the stomach was the fact that the words ‘faggot’ and ‘leave’ was scratched into the side of the car.

Now he knew that he was indeed the target.

“Do you know who owns this truck?” Charles asked him, no doubt noticing the gardening equipment in the back.