Blurbs and Titles

:)

13. Blurbs.

Does anyone know what a blurb is? Whatever the answer, I'll tell you anyway. A blurb is a description of a story/book, something that you would find on the inside of a book cover, or on the back. It does a very basic plot summary about what happens in the book.

I've seen many interesting and unique blurbs. Some better than others, some more detailed than others.

Recently, I see authors putting a full scene with dialogue and everything in the blurb. Meanwhile, they also include it in the story, counting it as a 'part'.

Doing that is another way of cheating your page count, which isn't that helpful in getting votes.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do, or that you shouldn't do it, but in my books, it's not a good thing to do.

You want to give your reader a "What's going to happen next?" after they read the description/blurb. Adding a full scene means giving away a partial chapter. Giving away a partial chapter can get readers to automatically judge the book by one, partial chapter.

A good blurb should include the main character's name and a very light summary of the plot.

14. Titles!

A title to your book can be the hardest thing to decide. For some people. To other people, it's the easiest thing to do. For me, I find it the hardest. I want a short title, something that won't give away the storyline so soon.

Like idontneedausername mentioned in 'How to write the hottest story on Wattpad', some people like having titles that are long enough to be equivalent to a blurb.

Ex: I'm a goth girl and I'm getting an arranged marriage to a jerk and now he has to live with me forever! He's a prep and a player and I hate him but am I really falling in love with him?

In other words, the title gives away the plot. The plot is that there is a girl who is not your average highschool student. She is a goth and obviously hates preps. She gets a surprise arranged marriage to a prep and player of the school. She really hates him on the outside, but she might secretly like him on the inside. She has to live with him because of the marriage.

You see that paragraph up there? That is what I got from the title. So instead of writing long butt titles, make it short and add a nice blurb.

When you're writing a title, keep in mind : K. I. S. S

( I learned it in 5th grade during art.)

This really only applies for art, but titles will probably fit.

K-Keep

I-It

S-Simple

S-Silly

Keep. It. Simple. Is the key.

WRITE RIGHT!

:)

-Lynn