An Interview with Mark McLaughlin

An interview with Mark McLaughlin

What was your first taste of Horror literature, and what was it that made you decide that Horror was the genre for you?

When I was young, my folks would drop me off at the public library while they went shopping or ran errands. The library was pretty much my babysitter. Since I would only be there a couple hours, I couldn’t start reading novels. So, I would read short stories. In time, I realized I enjoyed the horror stories the most, and eventually that was all I read. In due course, I found myself saying, after reading a disappointing story, “That wasn’t very good. I bet I could write a better story than that.” So, I started coming up with my own ideas for stories. My first stories were published while I was still a teenager.

What motivates you to write?

I have stories to tell! I usually start with a character or even just a title, and pretty soon, ideas start coming to me. Many of my stories are inspired by people I know and things that have happened in my life. For example, my story, “You Shall Have This Delicacy,” about a beautiful good witch who has been married many times, was inspired by my very lovely Greek grandmother, who had enjoyed the companionship of more than few husbands over the years. In a way, my stories allow me to chronicle various aspects of my life, albeit in a highly fictional manner.

Do you recall when your interest in writing first began and what was that first piece of work?

Back when I was a teenager, I saw an ad for SPACE & TIME magazine, so I sent them the very first story I ever wrote. Moreover, they published it! It was called “As Osiris Wills” and it was all about explorers who find out that Egyptian gods were, in fact, evil Lovecraftian aliens. I was so excited to be published at that age. I figured, “Hey, this writing thing ain’t so tough!” Later, I realized that the writing/submittal/acceptance process is usually a lot harder than that!

With the waters of Lovecraftian horror already being overfished in the last 60 years, how do you intend to keep the genre fresh and how do you think it will apply to today's world?

My story collection, BEST LITTLE WITCH-HOUSE IN ARKHAM, adds a lot of characters and plot ideas you usually would not find in a Lovecraftian horror story. I keep it new by making it energetic, contemporary or futuristic, and always surprising. For example, the story “Cthulhu Royale” is a mash-up between the Lovecraft Mythos and James Bond themes. “Shoggoth Cacciatore” is set in an interplanetary restaurant in the far future. “The Embrace of Kugappa” combines a bizarre octopus-god with the world of art galleries. “She’s Got the Look” concerns an international fashion model with a very unique look: the Innsmouth look, to be precise. “Squidd, Inc.” is set in a high-power corporate office, where promotions are earned in a highly unlikely way. Those are just five of the twenty-five stories in the book.

What, in your opinion, are the elements of good writing?

Well, good spelling and grammar are essential, of course! And, a story needs a strong plot with compelling characters and interesting settings. All that may sound very basic, but you’d be surprised how many beginning writers skimp on the basics. Most importantly, I believe, a story needs to have a sense of voice. What sort of voice is telling the story? Is it funny? Authoritative? Somber? A story without a voice comes across as very technical and bland. A writer’s voice develops with each story they write. It is something that evolves, and often changes. Experienced writers can usually write in a variety of voices.

As a horror writer, what are your favourite aspects of writing in the genre and what would you say about the differences of writing horror to other genres?

Fear is an incredibly strong emotion, caused by a wide variety of factors, and so horror … the literature of fear … is a powerful, diverse genre. And, it combines so well with other very powerful emotions. A love story can be strong, but a story that combines fear and love can be even stronger. Think about the classic story of the Phantom of the Opera. He is a man with a deformed face who fears being rejected by the lady of his dreams. But, that young lady is wildly afraid of him -- and yet she cannot help but find him compelling, because she knows that he cares deeply about her. That is a story as frightening as it is tragic and poignant.

Other genres are certainly entertaining, but when you combine them with horror--! Horror is the hot spice that adds so much flavor to any cut of meat.

What is your opinion of today’s horror genre and how do you think it differs from horror twenty years ago?

Self-publishing has changed the world of horror books substantially over the years. Today’s technology makes it very easy for anyone to self-publish. As a result, the horror genre today is glutted with books -- especially thousands of self-published e-books. Obviously, that wasn’t the case twenty years ago. Many of those self-published books have not received professional editing, and as a result, their quality varies considerably.

I have never self-published any of my books, and while there’s nothing wrong, per se, with self-publishing, I would encourage more aspiring writers to go the traditional route first -- submitting to and learning from editors. A lot can be learned from that valuable process: it’s the ultimate writers’ school. Writers who skip straight to self-publishing lose a lot of valuable lessons about quality and professionalism. Plus, working with editors is a great networking experience.

What has been the biggest obstacle you have had to overcome as a writer?

When I was young, my parents actively discouraged me from becoming a writer. They wanted me to be a part of the family farm forever. Their constant disapproval was a truly saddening obstacle. But, once I had made the decision to be a writer, nothing could stop me! When I left the farm, I left for good. I have been writing ever since and I have never looked back. I did have one family member who encouraged me to write. My Greek grandmother on my mother’s side thought that working to be a writer was a noble pursuit. Her loving acceptance and approval meant everything to me.

What dreams have been realised as a result of your writing?

I’ve written lots of stories, poems, articles, and books, and they have all appeared in print. And, I’m paid regularly for my writing. Thanks to today’s busy social networks, I have become friends with many of the people who enjoy my writing, and that is very gratifying. I’ve won a Bram Stoker Award for poetry and have been on the final ballot for the award in other categories. I’ve worked with many great collaborators, including my most frequent collaborator, Michael McCarty, who is like a brother to me. All of that is very much a fine dream come true. Multiple dreams, even!

Do you feel any competitive pressure from horror films? If not, why not?

Nope! I enjoy both books and movies, and feel that everyone else should, too! People should enjoy any and all forms of cultural entertainment.

Do you have any advice for future horror writers?

Strive to make your work the best it can be. Write, rewrite, and edit! Submit your work to quality publications and websites and listen to the feedback you receive from editors. As your career proceeds, remember this: Don’t try to be the next Stephen King. The world already has one, and he has had a huge head start on you! Be the first YOU