And Then Sebastian Met Amber

“Fairy Tales, you say? Where is your mother?” the old man inquired, leaning over his desk.

“Pay no mind to my mother,” Ciel replied through gritted teeth. “I am the one who is here, not she. If you will not help me, then-” he whipped his head up to his butler. “Sebastian, I command you, bring me those stories!”

“Certainly, young master,” Sebastian said, his expression failing to falter from amusement. The tails on his coat swished around him as he turned and began searching through the shelves.

“I’ll look too!” Finny yelped excitedly, running down the aisles the opposite side of Sebastian. The butler rolled his eyes as he scanned the shelves with his super human sight. As he moved on to the next aisle, he happened upon a young lady knelt by the lower shelf, smiling to herself as she flipped a page. 

Her plain black skirts were in ruffles around her on the floor, the creases suggesting she had been bending down all day. Her auburn hair was pulled into one thick braid trailing down her left shoulder, and she sported long bangs that reached the tops of her round spectacles. But this young woman wasn’t what stopped Sebastian in his tracks and widen his cold eyes in adoration. It was the small, black kitten purring sleepily in the folds of her skirts. He would’ve gone unnoticed by a normal human, but nothing- especially an adorable cat- escaped Sebastian’s notice.

“Oh my,” he said to himself. “I simply must pet you.”

“Hmm?” The girl looked up from her book at this strange fellow who was mumbling to himself. As the reflection of the gaslight shifted, Sebastian could see eyes the color of freshly grown grass peering at him. But she didn’t look curious as her question would suggest. Instead, she looked rather bored, and she avoided looking into his eyes.

“What is her name?” Sebastian asked, forgetting for the moment his duty.

“Amber,” she said, her voice extremely soft and barely above a whisper. Sebastian knelt down and placed his gloved hand over Amber’s head, scratching her behind the ears. 

“What a beautiful specimen,” Sebastian commented. “And you.” His head swiveled to face the girl’s. “Judging from your accent, I’d say you’re from overseas.”

She nodded. “Yes, I’m from America.”

Sebastian grinned at her devilishly, which didn’t do much to unnerve her at all, as it did others. “And what’s your name?”

“April Phillips,” she answered. “And I have the book you are looking for.” 

“Hmm?” The butler was taken aback for a moment, but soon realized she must’ve overheard Ciel’s request. “Ah, so you do.”

“I was reading it just now.” She held up a red and black cover with gold letters: Grimm’s Fairy Tales. “It’s the only copy we have that’s translated into english.”

Sebastian narrowed his eyes. “And you are going to simply give it to me?”

April laughed a bit and shook her head. “You have to purchase it, of course. Or borrow it.”

“Oh, you work here,” he said. 

“Yes,” she said. “I was restocking the shelves.”

“So, shouldn’t you be doing that instead of sitting here and reading?”

April blushed and shook her head. “Pardon me, sir. I was only checking for marred pages.”

Sebastian smiled brightly and stood up, bowing and holding out his hand. “Oh, don’t be covering for yourself now. I will not reveal your secret to your boss.”

April raised her own hand, letting it hover in the air in hesitation, before laying it in Sebastian’s and allowing him to help her upright. Amber mewed and jumped out of her lap, scampering away into the furthermost corners of the store. She was rather tall for a lady, he noted, as the top of her forehead reached his eyes. She was rather plain, as well. Clad in a white blouse and black skirt tied at the waist, the only dazzling thing about her were her eyes- which were covered with glass that seemed to reflect all sorts of light. Sebastian thought this job at the bookstore was perfect for her look.

“These are only Grimm’s Fairy Tales,” he said. “Any more?”

“Certainly,” she said. “We have a whole assortment of fairy tales right here on this shelf.” She trailed a slender finger over all the volumes, its tip coming up dusty. “No one ever looks at them,” she sighed. “Demon books, they say. The only fairy tales they purchase are for children who are in dire need of discipline.”

“Many children do,” Sebastian murmured, casting his eyes to his young master still stationed at the front door.

“Hmm, but scaring them into obedience is no way to discipline,” said the young lady. “Take any you like. I’m sure your master has the money.”

“Yes,” said the butler. “I thank you, Miss Phillips, for your assistance.” He kissed her hand and bowed his head, taking every volume of fairy tales on the shelf and returning to his master’s side.

“Mister Sebastian already found them?” Finny cried, frowning at the expansive stack in the butler’s arms. “I found this!” He held up a copy of Oliver Twist

“That is not a fairy tale, Finny,” Sebastian sighed, following Ciel as he made his way to the clerk.

“Will that be all?” the old man asked.

“Yes,” was Ciel’s answer.

After paying the last shilling, Sebastian checked his pocket watch again and scowled. “We are behind schedule now. I was hoping to get home in time to start dinner.”

“That was your own fault,” Ciel snapped, allowing his butler to open the door for him. “You took too long to find the books.”

“Hmm,” was all Sebastian could say as he peered into the shop once more, admiring the black beauty as she scampered across the floorboards. “At least this time the Marchioness will have at least the garden to admire whilst I clean the parlor.”

“Honestly, that’s all you care about, isn’t it? Making sure everything is in order,” said the young lord.

“Well, young master,” Sebastian chuckled. “That would be what I most care about.”