Chapter 1: Before I Met You

-Wait. That's a little too tragic for a beginning, isn't it? I'm sorry that I had to put it to you like that. I gave you my heart on a plate there, that's exactly how I feel right now. But I know what you're thinking, was it always deep and depressing? Were you always broken? Did you always have to live half-alive? Well the answer is no. So let's go back to the very beginning of my teenage years. Years when the most tragic thing that could ever have happened to me was breaking a couple of bones from falling off skateboards. Because trust me, breaking a few bones from a skateboard hurts way less than breaking a healthy heart because of a boy.

                                                   ____________________________________

"Miz!!!" yelled Ainsley.

I was skating fiercely, my feet never parting from the board. My body thrust itself forward with the adrenaline and I couldn't stop myself. I was over the moon. The wind swept across my face and my hair brushed against my cheeks.

"MIZ!" growled Ainsley, more fiercely this time.

"What's your problem, bastar-" My words got caught in my throat. My legs parted from the board for a split second and I crashed into the rink. I heard an alarming crack, adjacent to my skull - or was my skull really cracked in half? No, no. Don't worry about me. I'm sure it's nothing. But as I feel a trickle of blood drop from my head, I'm thinking that it's more serious than I first thought.

"Miz! You're so stupid! What the hell have you done now?!" bawled Ainsley. Seriously, he could have woken up the whole neighborhood if he kept up his noise level.

"I- I don't know. Just- just a few broken bones. That's all- Ow!" I winced as Ainsley grazed his fingers along the bone structure on my legs. I studied his soft fingers as they lingered near my thigh. He gazed at me and I gazed back.

"Does it hurt?" he inquires, with sincerity in his tone.

"J- just when you touch it."

"Can you walk?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I can." I grumbled as I tried to put all my strength on hauling myself up. But it wouldn't work. I couldn't stand. Not like this.

"Need a little help?" he offered. His hand outstretched towards me. I scrutinized his warm fleshy hands, then thought better of it.

"Nah. I'm fine." I muttered as I fell back to the cold, hard pavement. "Damn."

I heard him chuckle behind me, "I'll carry you." He murmured, grabbing me by the waist and then supporting my body in his two hands. I wrapped my arms around his neck, scared I'd fall off. Then I remembered - Trigger. My skateboard.

"Hey, you forgot Trigger." I grumbled at Ainsley. He looked back at the skateboard and said, "I'll come back for him."

"No. No. No you are not." I groaned as I removed his arms around me and, in my horror - fell; again.

"Yes. Yes. Yes I am." He retorted as he waited for me to dust myself down. What the hell was wrong with this dude? I want my bloody skateboard. All he needs to do is carry the damn thing with us. But, no. He couldn't do that, could he? Do you know why? He's being flippin' unreasonable.

"Look, why the hell can't you just carry the skateboard with you?" I asked in anger.

"Why should I carry the bloody board with me?" he retorted. Bloody idiot.

"Because," I said, reasoning out. I was always the perfect person who would never give up without an argument, "because it would cost money."

Ainsley's face broke into a smile as he burst into laughter, "Miz, are you sure you aren't on drugs?"