The Imposter by Zachariah Allenby

Zachariah Allenby is the character who drives the action in Orphans Inc., the first book in a YA/NA Mystery series. This essay is his final assignment in English 12 before graduating high school, and just before fate deals him a blow from which he cannot recover. This is Zack's backstory, and my way of getting to know this important character in the novel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Essay Assignment - Grade 12 English – June 3, 2002

The Impostor – by Zachariah Allenby

Newborns are put on display in transparent bassinets in a room called the "nursery" so family members can have a first glimpse of them. I was placed in a bassinet in the same room with all the other newborns, but there were no family members standing in awe of my arrival, and no mother to hold me in her arms near the warmth of her body. I was on display in a bassinet more like a puppy in a pet shop window, all cute and wriggling so someone would take me home with them.

I must have been cute and wiggly enough, because the Allenbys signed the necessary papers to take me home. That's how I came to be the adopted child of Jacquie and John Allenby. They gave me the name Zachariah, but I thought of myself as the mysterious Mr. X, an imposter hiding behind the Allenby name.

For the first seven or eight years of my life, I considered the Allenbys as my parents, even though I was adopted. However, feelings have a way of changing over time. Don't take this the wrong way, I like the Allenbys, but I never felt I belonged with them one hundred percent. There were some differences between them and me I couldn't ignore, and that irked me. Jaquie and John were fair skinned, round faced, blue eyed, short, stocky people of English origin. I was lanky, darker in complexion, had high cheekbones, very dark hair, dark eyes, and was of unknown origin — definitely not of the English variety and obviously not their child.

The Allenbys were do-gooders, which I definitely am not. As early as I can remember, there was a steady flow of foster children through our house and Jaquie and John tried to do good for each of them. My temporary brothers and sisters always arrived on our doorstep accompanied by a representative from Child and Family Services. They brought their clothing in a knapsack or a suitcase and their emotional baggage hidden behind smiles, frowns, or blank expressions.

I had my own room, and the foster kids lived in the room next, which I call the bunkhouse. Each lived with us for different amounts of time. We ate at the same table and I played with them all, but close relationships never had time to develop. They all moved out eventually, but why they left and where they went was never clear to me.

When I discovered the Allenbys received money every month to support each foster child, the shine came off the do good stuff. I wouldn't know if Jaquie and John used all the money for those foster kids, if they had to use some of their own money to support them, or if they made some profit from having them in their home. I didn't really care what the Allenbys did with the money or why they took in foster kids. Imposter or not, I knew being adopted was way better than being fostered.

The Allenbys had another fixation that bothered me in a way they will never understand. They were good Christians, always going to church on Sunday, saying grace before meals, and praising the Lord, or thanking God left, right, and center. Their godliness rubbed me the wrong way. I reasoned that any God, it there was one, wouldn't have allowed my birth mother to give me away without a struggle and hand me over to strangers like she did.

They made me go to Sunday school all winter and Vacation Bible School every summer. God seemed to be everywhere I turned, which freaked me out. Good grief was all I could think. They even enrolled me in a Christian School rather than the public school where my friends went. That's when the Allenby's Christian goodness and devotion really ticked me off, but I was The Imposter, and they would never be allowed to know the truth. I went along with their Christian thing while the real me rebelled against it deep inside.

Once, when Jacqui and John were out in the yard doing a spring cleanup, I sneaked into their home office and found my adoption file. The kept files on all their foster kids so I knew there would be one on me too. The Allenbys had known I might have some behavior issues from the beginning because the file had the comment on the form that read, possible FAE and/or FDE. A short note that read "possible behavioral issues" jumped out at me and smacked me right between the eyes. No wonder the do-gooder Allenbys wanted to adopt me, I obviously needed saving from myself.

I had no idea what those letters meant until I was older, but Jacquie and John knew exactly what they meant. I eventually learned that someone who might be FAE or FDE has a short circuit when it comes to being well behaved, sitting still, and being socially appropriate. Why they always put me into situations where I had to be well behaved, sit still, follow the rules, and listen, if they knew it was an issue is beyond me? The Allenby's "God and Faith" routine never solved anything. My problems were organic and psychological, not spiritual. They were a special gift from my birth mom that would last a lifetime. Maybe that's why she dumped me?

When I started going to school, my name was just Zachariah, but as time went on, I had a variety of other names too, like — Not again Zack! Go to the Office Zack! Sit down Zack! Be quiet Zack! Stop acting out Zack! — plus many others. Every principal and vice principal got to know me well. School counselors spent more time trying to bend me into shape than they liked. I was smart enough to get by in school, but I was always "standing in my head" when someone insisted I sit down, and "moving in my head" when someone told me to sit still. I hated school and following rules unless it had something to do with sports or the outdoors.

Even though I had issues with many of the Allenby's ideas and actions, I developed a special relationship with John. He is one heck of an outdoorsman and loved to take me hiking, fishing, and camping. Jacquie wasn't much of an outdoors fan, so I became John's best buddy when it came to those adventures. There was something about the wilderness that vibrated inside me like a tuning fork and John sensed it. It was our special connection, and the problems I had following rules evaporated. When it came to this part of my adopted life, I couldn't be happier. The outdoors saved my relationship with the Allenbys.

School work was never easy for me because of my attention and behavior problems even though I was able to pass every grade. I struggled to get along in school until the ninth grade. That's when I was placed in the Satellite program and met my best friend, Josh. Our teacher, Mr. Mel (he let us call him that) linked Josh and me up with Dave's Tae Kwan Do - MMA Gym, which was the turning point in both our lives.

Josh was my alter ego, and when we were together in class, we each did better than when we were on our own. Mr. Mel helped Josh overcome his learning problems and helped me understand all that ADD, FAE, FDE stuff. He made it possible for us to get through high school. Mr. Mel was a great guy, but the way he cared about us like he did, made him seem more like a substitute mom and dad.

Dave's Gym helped Josh and me in different ways. Josh was quiet and shy, afraid of taking risks, and couldn't stand up for himself when he was challenged. I was nearly out of control in the regular school program because of my problems paying attention. Dave's training gave Josh confidence in himself and taught me the self-control I needed. You can't be good at any martial art unless you are brave and have great self-control. Josh and I encouraged each other, helped each other through some tough times and backed each other up whenever necessary.

My life has been pretty good since I started high school because of Josh, Mr. Mel, being in Satellite, and learning martial arts. Jacquie and John are very proud of me, and I'm even pretty proud of myself. I know the Allenbys are going to take some credit for my turn around, and maybe they should. After all, Jacquie and John gave me a home when my own mother rejected me. I'll make sure they know that Josh, Mr. Mel, and Dave had a big part in my success too.

I'm still Mr.X inside, but I'm okay with being Zack Allenby on the outside. I might still be The Imposter, but I'm a happy imposter instead of an angry one. I'm excited about graduating, about life after high school, and even about writing this essay. I think this assignment is more an Entry to the Future Essay rather than an Exit Essay. I feel like I finally had a chance to let it all hang out, as they say.

Look out future, here I come.

Zechariah Allenby (aka Mr. X)