Chapter 2 - Marshall

Marshall

    The first thing I noticed when the Rodriguez’s front door swung open was her. She was wearing tattered looking superhero pajamas that maybe looked a little too small, showing off her more than amazing figure and nice…assets. Not that I was complaining or anything.

  It was a sad weakness of mine that I couldn’t help but stare in raptures at Avery Rodriguez any chance I got when no one was watching.

  This sadly happened a lot, though.

Avery Rodriguez was smoking hot.

   But not that I would ever say that out loud, of course, because Avery was “one of the guys” and it was in the Bro Code that you didn’t date one of the guys… or some shit like that. I had no freaking clue. Whenever she was involved, my thoughts were more screwed up than I’d care to admit.

  “Marshall, quit drooling,” Nick Petrolas said, reaching over to whap me upside the head.

I jerked around in my seat to glare at Nick furiously, completely pissed off. Being ragged on for a hopeless crush I’d had since the fourth grade wasn’t exactly how I wanted to start off the first day of senior year, thanks very much.  

  “Piss off, Nick,” I muttered, slouching forward in my seat dejectedly.

 “I don’t understand why you don’t just freaking tell her how you feel,” Nick continued on, clearly not seeing that I was so not in the mood to talk about this. “She obviously digs you too, but you’re just too much of a – “

 “Way to go, Jack. It’s not even seven thirty in the morning and you’ve already got her cussing you out in Spanish.”

 I sent a silent prayer to every god or goddess or whoever the hell was out there that Justin Richards had chosen that moment to step in, wrenching open the driver’s side door to his crappy but reliable truck. Nick, thankfully, was cut off from saying anything else.

 Jack Wilson smirked as he slunk lower in his seat in the back. “It’s a record I try to beat every day, Justin, my man.”

 Justin rolled his eyes, clearly not amused. “I’m not messing around. Something’s seriously going on with Avery right now and she doesn’t need to keep being harassed by you assholes.”

 “Hey!” both Nick and I exclaimed in unison. “I haven’t done anything!”

 “Yeah, right,” Justin snorted, shooting me a look. “Marshall, you’re probably the cause of it all.”

 “Me?  What the hell are you on about?”

 “I told you!” Nick crooned from the back seat, banging a fist into the roof of the car. “I told you she digs you, Marshall!”

 “I liked you better when you weren’t dating Laila,” Jack chimed in. “You’re too thoughtful and serious and shit all the time, Justin.”

   Justin responded to that comment with a hand gesture that he definitely must have picked up from his girlfriend.

  Laila Hayes may have been a delicate, soft, pretty little thing, but she had a foul mouth to match her even worse temper. It was probably because she was just the slightest bit Italian. And if anything, our man dating her was probably the best thing to ever happen to him. She’d changed him in more ways than one. With Laila around, Justin wasn’t so much of a dick and he’d learned a few life lessons that he’d definitely needed to know.