Chapter 1

Will and Bryan ran to the central meeting hall, adjacent to the central square. They were late. That day was the first day they went back to the training. The wound on Will’s head had almost healed by now, so he wouldn’t have to be spared. Will didn’t mind being late; he was always late. He had proved that when the training started. Bryan, however, got grumpier and grumpier, the closer they got to the new training area. It had been moved to the meeting hall in town, because sir Nicolas was still awaiting a not existing enemy and didn’t let them train out of town. That meant no more assignments in the woods. Will didn’t mind. He felt like he could manage anything, now Bryan was his friend, even changing constants.

            He wondered what they were going to do at the training. His father had told him that the other trainees had continued like nothing had happened the past nine days, so they had a lot of work to cover up for. He hadn’t told them, though, what they had to do. Panting he pushed open the door, to see the four other boys – Leon, Noah, Adam and Nathan – and Owen sitting in a circle in the middle of the room. As soon as Owen noticed them, he stopped telling the others whatever he was telling them.

“You’re late,” he stated. Will pushed Bryan inside and closed the door.

“Yeah, that’s because Will wouldn’t wake up,” Bryan replied matter-of-factly.

“That’s not true!” Will exclaimed indignantly. Bryan grinned cheekily and went to join the other boys. Will rolled with his eyes and followed him, smiling vaguely, noticing Owen’s raised eyebrow. He shrugged as explanation and sat down in between Bryan and Noah.

“Alright, let’s get started,” Owen said simply, gesturing for everyone to get up. The boys paired up and drew their swords, taking in a starting position opposite each other. Will and Bryan exchanged looks.

“Uh, Owen? What are we supposed to do?” Bryan asked hesitantly. Owen looked at them over his shoulder.

“If you had been on time, you would have known,” was all he said, then he focused on helping Adam with his footwork. When he was satisfied, he addressed the whole class.

“Now, who can help Bryan and Will out, by telling them what we have done during the past lessons?” he asked wearily, seeing the two boys do nothing. Leon’s hand shot up.

“After the assignment in which we had to find our swords, you didn’t show up, so we had to wait till sunset till we were allowed to go home. The next day, we were all four on time for…” he started eagerly, but he was interrupted by Owen.

“I said the past lessons, Leon, not your entire life story!” he pointed out. Leon started again, with just as much excitement.

“We practised with our swords. Things like positions, footwork, how to lift the sword, how to use it properly… Things like that.” Owen nodded, finally satisfied.

“You two, of course, have to work twice as hard to make up for the time you’ve lost. What are you waiting for? Get started!” he stated. Will looked at Bryan and held out his hand.

“What?” Bryan asked, confused. Will rolled with his eyes.

“Can I have my sword?” he asked, emphasizing all of his words. Bryan frowned.

“I thought you had the swords,” he answered. Will just stared at him, feeling the eyes of the others burn in his back. Luckily for him, his father decided to enter the training area that moment.

“Good morning,  Steven,” Owen greeted him. Sir Steven answered him with a nod and turned to Will and Bryan.

“I thought you might need these,” he said, holding up their swords by the scabbards. Will just smiled sheepishly and saw Bryan do the same.