Way Too Long

When they exited the building where they'd been housed for three days they were greeted by families and friends. People holding signs, people holding babies, and people holding hands. He'd searched the family waiting area for his mom, his dad, for his brother Toby and his sister Gabby. He hadn't see them at first, but then a he saw the sign. 'Welcome home Garrett.'

His mom was waving her arms, his dad stood with his arms crossed, just as he always had, and Toby was standing next to a women he'd never seen, he was holding her hand. He didn't see Gabby at first then she stepped from behind his dad. Everyone looked so different. He'd only seen his family a few times over the last eight years. He'd stayed away because that was what  he was good at. Gabby was the one he had the most contact with. She was my twin sister after all.   

He threw his satchel over his shoulder and walked to them. His mom had a bigger smile on her face than he'd seen on anyone in a long time. Toby tapped the unknown lady on the shoulder and pointed in his direction. He could see them talking to one another. He assumed it to be about him. His dad still stood like a statue with no expression on his face.

When he finally reached them he dropped the satchel onto pavement. His mom instantly wrapped her arms around him. He was taken back at first. He wasn't used to that kind of affection. "My baby is home. I missed you Garrett"

He slightly hugged her back. "I missed you too mom." He pulled away from her and his dad shook his hand.

"Glad your safe, son." He said with no expression.

He slightly nodded his head. He wasn't sure his dad meant his words,He could never tell.  "I made it back in one piece like you asked."

His dad didn't say another word he just went back to crossing his arms. He was surprised who was next to speak.

"Hey, I'm Tessa.. I'm Toby's girlfriend." She held out her hand.

He slightly shook her hand which felt awkward. He looked to Toby and smiled trying to hide his discomfort. He felt as though he didn't know how to act around people anymore. At least not those he'd never met before.

"Hey Tobs."

"Hey big brother" His brother slapped him in the arm.

He just shook his head. "I'm only older by like eleven months."

"Still older." Toby smiled a toothy smile. 

"Still a brat."

He and his had always had a back and forth banter. It felt good for something to feel normal. It's good to know that some things hadn't changed. He and Toby continued back and forth for a few more moments until they were interrupted by Gabby.

"As much as I love what is going on here." She pointed between he and Toby. " I want some twin brother time."

Her words brought a big smile to my face. He instantly grabbed her around the waist and picked her up. He  squeezed her so tight and she laughed. " I missed you Gabby."

"I missed you too brother." She kissed my cheek. "It has been way too long."

"I agree, way too long." He looked to my mom and dad. His mom was still smiling and he thought he almost saw something light up in his dad's eye. That moment was only fleeting and he went back to his normal self.

He gracefully put Gabby down, making sure she landed on two feet. "Where's Ryan?"

She tilted her head and squinted her eyes. " Ryan and I haven't been together in almost two years."

He was surprised and confused by her words. Ryan and Gabby started dating right after high school, they seemed like a good pair. At least from what she wrote about him in her letters.