Eleanor

"Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end." -Scott Adams

«°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*»

The girl walked through the dark streets that were so silent, you could hear the street lamps buzzing with electricity. Her boots crunched through the still falling snow, and she couldn't help but admire the rare peacefulness.

A permanent smile was attached to her face, all because of a boy.

The boy who had given her his mittens.

She couldn't believe that he had paid any attention to her at all, let alone the small fact that she was mitten-less. Just thinking about it made her stomach erupt in butterflies.

The girl had taken a leap of faith and sketched him (though it did his true beauty no justice) while he twirled his coffee straw in his cup, studying her closely.

She ripped out the page (something that she would normally find despicable) and "forgot it" on the table, knowing that he would look at it out of curiosity. Normally, under someone's scrutiny, she would've felt uncomfortable, if not offended. But this boy made her smile. With his quiet demeanor and his warm brown eyes, the urge to draw a carbon copy of him overpowered any sense of bashfulness she had originally felt.

Even though she knew a simple drawing could not capture beauty like his.

She sighed in content, making her way down the street towards her building, when something in the alley caught her eye. Normally on nights like these, she would ignore it, suspecting the shape to be a tossed aside bag of trash, or maybe even a homeless man.

But this night was different.

The girl felt like she was on a high from the boy who gave her the soft wool mittens, and so she decided to inspect the shadow a bit closer. Soon the girl was glad for the almost energizing thoughts created by the mittens surrounding her once cold hands for as she drew closer, she realized that it was a small girl, perhaps 7 or 8 years old and a scruffy looking dog.

Walking slowly towards the pair, she saw the moonlight reflecting off he little girl's tear stained cheeks, and her heart ached for the broken child.

The dog slowly rose, seemingly stiff with cold, as it began to growl. The hairs on it's back rose in alarm and its lips parted to reveal a row of sharp teeth gleaming in the small amount of light offered by the night sky.

The girl crouched low, wanting to help the small girl, and sat with her palms facing the stars as she murmured comforting words. The little girl stroked the dog's head, quieting it's growls but not lowering it's hackles, as she peered up at the stranger with fear filled eyes.

The girl offered the child a gentle smile and asked what her name is.

Eleanor.

Her voice could barely be heard, and the girl barely grasped the tiny voice before it was whisked away in the winter breeze and swallowed by the night silence.

The dog snuggled closer to the shaking girl, offering comfort.

Well Eleanor, what are you doing out here in the freezing cold?

Eleanor struggled to explain through her shivers.

We were at this big place with a lot of doctors and my mommy won't listen to me, she's sleeping. I tried to wake her up but she must be very tired because she's been sleeping for a long time.. And daddy keeps crying and saying he's sorry-

Tears pricked the girl's eyes as she held Eleanor and stroked her hair. Quickly, she comprehended that Eleanor's mother was in the hospital.

...So I ran.

When she finished, the girl explained to Eleanor that her dad must be worried sick, and after a small amount of convincing, she agreed to go back to the hospital.

They began to walk hand in hand down the sidewalk, the hospital only a short distance away, and all the while, the scruffy dog never once left the small girl's side.

Noticing how Eleanor was shuddering from the cold, the girl took off her own scarf and wool coat. She bundled the girl's small frame inside their warmth, earning a delicate smile.

Lastly, she took off the mittens the boy gave her and put them on over the girl's delicate fingers.

Eleanor whispered a small thank you and they continued to walk. When the hospital loomed over them, the small girl slowed to a halt.

What's your name?

Her voice was slightly louder now that she was more comfortable with the girl.

Mia.

Eleanor nodded and continued to walk towards the bright glare of the hospital lights.

They had almost reached the hospital doors, when the glass slid aside, anticipating their entrance.

Eleanor stopped once again.

Mia?

Yes Eleanor?

Please stay.

Don't worry Eleanor, I won't leave.

Mia tapped her finger on the tip of Eleanor's nose and grinned at the small girl.

Jokingly, she added,

After all, those aren't even my mittens.