chapter 16

After finally getting to take a shower and getting ready for the day, I went downstairs just in time for breakfast. Tristan did a pretty good job. I’m impressed. Cassy and Connor just finished setting up the table. She looks up and smiles at me.

            “Breakfast is ready.” She says.

            “I can see that. Should I tell the others?” I ask.

            She nods and I start my search for the others. I find Brock and Alex talking in the living room while the televisions on. I sneak up behind them and tap Alex’s shoulder when they’re both not looking. As Alex turns his head, I duck down behind the sofa.

            “What was that?” Alex asks.

            “What?” Brock asks.

            “Someone just tapped my shoulder?” Alex says but more in a question.

            There’s silence and then Brock speaks.

            “Dude, there’s no one here.”

            “But I’m positive I felt someone touch me.” After a second Alex says, “Did you tap me? Are you just playing me?”

            “What? No. Why would I do that?” Brock asks.

            “I don’t know. My friends used to do that all the time. And since there’s no one else here it has to be you so stop playing dumb.” Alex says, irritated.

            “Alex, I didn’t do it.”

            “Sure you didn’t.” Alex gets up. “Anyways, let’s just go see if breakfast is ready.”

            Alex leaves and Brock follows after turning off the TV. Thankfully, neither of them saw me. I just giggle to myself and go find the rest. Not surprisingly, I find Gale in the basement where I do most of my training. He’s looking at my knives. I go right behind him and wait for him to turn. I know he knows I’m here. After setting down one of my knives he turns and gives me a slight smile.

            “Like my stuff?” I ask.

            “The knives could be sharper.” He says quietly.

            I scoff. Of course he would say that.

            “Duly noted. Breakfast is ready. Come upstairs and eat.” I say.

            Gale nods and follows me upstairs.

            “Do you think we can train together later? Like old times?” He asks.

            I stop and turn to look at him to see him looking at anything but me. Is he nervous?! I’ve never seen that side of him before. It’s surprisingly cute. I smile to myself.

            “Sure. I would love that.” I say and Gale finally looks at me and I see a sparkle in his eyes. He’s being more expressive than in the past. Gale leaves for the dining room as I look for the last man. I find Jacks outside, just sitting. I go over to him and sit next to him.

            “Whatcha doin?” I ask, trying to sound like a little kid.

            “Just watching nature takes its course.” He says.

            “That’s odd. I didn’t think you could actually be mature and sit still and enjoy the day.” I say honestly.

            Jacks turns to me with a serious look which catches me off guard.