1 - Conquerors

When the last football game was aired, I was sixteen and lived an average life. I was a sophomore at highschool, I had my little group of friends and just broke up with my first boyfriend (needless to say, that relationship wasn't very serious. All we did was kissing in the janitor's closet and he was a really bad kisser). I used to be your stereotypical hormonal American teenager freaking out over Taylor Lautners abs.

At that evening my dad and older brother Mason were watching said football game while I was doing my homework. Once in a while I complained about my stupid algebra equation and Mason told me to shut up. Like everytime I opened my mouth. Mason was two years older than me and we didn't get along at all. I think my presence alone was enough to piss him off and I don't know why considering he's my parents' favorite.
I'm not wallowing in self-pity here, it was the truth. Mason was their child "made of love" and I was an "accident". I put my mom's career on hold because she had to carry and give birth to me before she could work full time again.
My mother was a successful state attorney and barely ever at home.
Unlike my dad. My father was a mechanic and owner of a car shop located right across the street. I loved working with him after school. He wasn't a man of many words but I think he enjoyed my company there more than Mase's because my brother never liked to get his hands dirty.

That evening was one of the rare occations where all members of my family were actually at home. I remember my dad and Mason arguing over football and my mother working in the kitchen. The faint smell of food slowly filling the room.

Suddenly the light went out. All power was gone. "Noooo!" my brother shouted and my dad was swearing. Apparently the Boston Red Sox were just about to score. I put my pen down, secretly glad that I didn't have to continue.
Then there was a flash of light, but from outside. I heard people screaming in terror.
"What the hell is going on?", my mother rushed out of the kitchen towards the living room windows. My dad and brother were already there watching astonished.

Did a car crash in front of a house or what's the fuss about?

I put my pen away and stood up when I heard the most weird noise ever. It sounded like a plane flying above your head, just more quiet. Almost hissing, most likely moving extremely fast.
Then it was gone, only to be followed my another 'thing' flying by.
When I reached my family by the window I knew why they were frozen in place.

People were running terrified and aimless around. There were houses burning in the distance, in the center of Boston. Now I know that if Boston would've been their main target, we would already be dead. No, I think they used Boston as 'target practice' on their way to the capital.
You might ask, who I mean when I say 'they'. Well, I was not sure who they are but they are certainly not from earth.
The 'thing' I heard flying before was indeed an UFO. But it certainly didn't look like a stereotypical ufo sketch you find on Google or in comic books.
They looked like super modern planes, only slightly smaller, way more powerful, faster and far more dangerous.
Their black color almost transparent against the night sky. Their shape only imaginable by the green lights on their wings, front and tail.

My family looked terrified but I couldn't find it in myself to be scared. I was shocked, yes, but I wasn't as paralyzed as my family seemed to be.
"What is happening?", I asked, my voice steady. My answer was silence.
After a few minutes my dad raised his voice: "What's happening is the apocalypse".

He was only half right. True, the conquerors that came that day six years ago weren't the friendly kind. That night they destroyed the White House and Washington must look like a ghost town now. After using Boston, New York City as target practice, they pretty much took over control over the United States.
Nobody knew what they were looking for or why they came.
Our resistance was pointless against their weapons. Absolutely pointless.

Even after the rise of the guardians we barely have success in finding out what they want or how to get rid of them.
Before that night six years ago, I always considered the story of the guardians as a myth like unicorns and fairies. But I didn't believe in aliens as well until they were landing on my planet without warning.
It's told that every planet has a group of special people with special abilities like mind reading and fire bending. I think you get why I was sceptical at first. These 'talents' are genetic. You can't just become a guardian. You're born this way, no exceptions.
Usually there are four guardians but some stories mention five.
In my opinion, even the guardians were pointless because all they were doing was damage control.

But who am I to judge?
I'm just a human trying to survive in a world with only occasional electricity and extraterrestrial conquerors aimlessly killing people when they're in the mood.

My name is Allison Steve and this my friends is my story.