Chapter 9

"Son! " a familiar voice calls out, just as Campbell & Pearl are about to enter a posh restaurant for dinner. "Oh, it's you." a scowling Campbell mutters, on seeing his dad's wrinkly,smiling face. "Heard you got a job. My son, the radio jockey! Feel proud every time I hear yer voice on the radio, lad! " the old man praises. "Aye. It was right around the time you kicked me out! " Campbell reminds,his voice taking on a cold tone. "Now, son, I didn't mean to kick ya out. You can visit us if you like. Yer dear ol mum, she misses ya,son. Actually, I was just returning from the pharmacy after buyin her tablets. " his concerned father explains. "I don't care where you came from! I just want you to leave...now!" Campbell snaps. "Campbell, he's your dad." Pearl scolds, taken aback by his rude behavior. "I can see you don't want anything to do with me, so I'll go." the sullen old man mutters, before walking away. "Shall we? " Campbell asks once he's calmed down, holding the door open for Pearl. "I'm not in the mood anymore, Campbell." she replies, turning away from the door, before hiring a taxi. "Did you lose your appetite? " a confused Campbell asks, following her into the taxi. "You didn't have to be so hard on your poor dad, Campbell. He cares about you." she replies. "Cares about me?! The man kicked me out! " he reminds her. "At least he didn't disown you like my folks did! " she blurts out. A long silence follows. "So....disownment....how'd that happen? " a curious Campbell asks, breaking the silence. "My parents an' I had a disagreement over me marrying Harry. They thought he was a good-for-nothing. After we eloped, they disowned me. They turned out to be right about Harry an' I returned to beg for forgiveness, but they turned me away, sayin it was too late! Luckily, I met Georgie, a fellow divorcee an' she's been my rock ever since." she recounts, as he listens in silence. "Campbell, you're lucky your dad still cares about you. I've only got Georgie." she continues, placing a hand on his shoulder. "He sent me to the asylum." a stubborn Campbell mutters. "He didn't have a choice,Campbell. You were suffering from manic depression! Just visit him, or at least see your mum. She longs to see you." she reminds, hoping he'll think about it. He ponders over it for the rest of the taxi ride.