Ten

I go back into the bathroom and sit on the toilet. I pull back the shower curtain as Nalak looks at me, shivering in the water.
"Why are you here?"
"I was hungry."
"I thought you were done with me?"
"I never said that... You walked away from me."
"Because you were being an ass."
"I was trying not to eat you." He snarled, looking at me with a fierce glare. "My blood is slowing to a crawl and it hurts like hell. It also makes me extremely hungry and your RH- self was trying to come in there. If you had entered into the tree house fully, I probably would have literally eaten you. I was having a hard time and I didn't want to hurt you. Pardon my precaution."
I sigh and lean on the back of the toilet, confused as to what I should do about him. He is an albino and he is in the house. What if this craving gets worse? Would he go after my family?
"Will you eat my family?"
"I only have eyes for you."
"Stop saying that. It can be taken wrong."
"It's true though. Your family doesn't appeal to me at all, just you. That's how I know at least I'm not a blood-albino; I heard that the blood ones crave everybody, not just RH- people..."
I sigh again and then look at him.
"Why are you in the tub anyway?"
"Your brother thought that the heat from the water would warm me better than a blanket could. I was in a lot of pain still so I didn't argue with him. He's a nice guy."
"You've seen a side I haven't..." I grumble as I stand up. I turn off the water and hold out my hand to him. "Here, I'll go get a towel, change of clothes, and my electric blanket. Matt sometimes doesn't think past his face."
Nalak nods a little and grabbed my hand. It is very pale now, practically white and is cold to the touch. I feel like I am hauling up a porcelain doll rather than a friend. I help him out of the tub and put his arm around my neck, where he turns his face immediately to it and takes a big sniff.
"Mmm..." he says.
"You've got to stop doing that crap. It's so uncomfortable."
"What's your favorite dessert, R?"
"Mine? Uh, peanut butter cookies with sprinkled sugar... why?"
"You know how when your mom buys them or when you smell that peanut butter, it's almost like the aroma just envelopes you? As soon as you get a whiff of it, you have to find it and you take in a big sniff? That's what your blood does to me. I'm not doing it to be weird. Your blood is a constant dessert that is always being made; the aroma is always there. You're my bakery."
I make a face at him as he grins.
"I think the explanation was weirder than the action."
He laughs a little. "At least I haven't licked you yet. I can make things uber weird if you want me to."
"This is weird enough, thanks..."
I get to the closet and find a large towel, wrapping him up in it and then helping him to my room. I point to my closet.
"You'll need to change your clothes. My clothes are in there and I have some of that package underwear in my drawer over there. You can have a pair if you need them. I'm not sure if you're a brief or jockey person..."
"Briefs, preferably."
"Oh, well then you're good. I'm going to clean up the mess in the hall. Don't leave the room."
Nalak turns his head a little and seems in a small daze.
"Hello? Did you hear me?"
"Of course." He says and I close the door.
I roll my eyes at him and get another towel to clean the floor from Nalak's sopping wet clothes when the front door opens. I look over the banister and see Dad walk in, setting his coat over the couch, where Matt is taking a loud nap. Dad smirks and closes his mouth for him as he goes to another room in the back of the house. I clean up the mess in the hall and in the bathroom and go to look for that electric blanket I knew I had somewhere in the hall closet.

********************

I can't seem to find my blanket so I go to check on Nalak before I ask my dad where it is. As I've been looking for it, I've been debating telling Dad that Nalak is here. I don't want him to call the RDC on him but Dad actually works for the RDC so maybe he can tell me some things I need to know about albinos or something. If I present it right, he will do it... I open the door and find Nalak in my bed, covered in the comforter.
"I said find clothes, not mess up my bed."
"You didn't say I couldn't use your bed. Besides, I'm freezing. Where's that electric blanket?"
"I couldn't find it. I'll have to ask my dad... Speaking of that... I was thinking of telling him that you're here."
Nalak narrows his eyes at me. "I didn't know you hated me that much."
"Huh?"
"If he knows I'm here he will definitely turn me in to the RDC. If you didn't like me that much then I can just go to the Badlands myself..."
"I never said that, Nalak. I want to tell him to get more information. I mean, he works at the RDC so he should know some things. Seriously..."
Nalak still stares at me and I sigh, going over to him and sitting next to him.
"Look, I know you're attracted to my blood and all that but we just met some days ago. I don't know anything about you except that I seem to have activated some sort of dormant gene within you. The only thing I know about you is that you're an albino and that you're attracted to my blood. We're not exactly 'friends' per se..."
"I think of you as a friend."
"I mean things are getting too complicated for only knowing each other for a couple of days. I mean, you're my friend but... I dunno... It's complicated."
"It's really simple, R: am I your friend or not?"
I sigh, not really knowing. I've never had a friend... well, I have but not a best friend. I used to when I was younger but that was so long ago and I've gone years being a loner...
"I don't know, Nalak. I haven't had a true friend in years so... I don't know what a friend really is."
Nalak turns to me and then looks away.
"Well, a friend is what you're doing for me right now. A friend, a true friend acts like a sibling. I don't have any siblings so you're kind of like a big brother sometimes. It's nice... I don't mean to be clingy or weird but it's not me that's doing it, it's what's happening to me. I would do anything for you R, and not just because you're an RH-. It's different. I knew we'd be friends the instant we sat down next to each other. How, I don't know but I want you to be my friend too. I want you to trust me and not be afraid of me. If this were switched and I was in your shoes, I have a feeling I would do the same thing for you."
I stare at him for a second and smile. Even though Matt is the youngest of the regular borns, he never acted nice to me or looked up to me. When he found out I was an Empty, he has always acted like I don't exist and we've never been close. Nalak's situation right now is probably the first time Matt's been helpful to me in any way. Nalak is Matt's age and I have to admit that I sometimes see Nalak as a little brother more than a friend... I put my arm around his shoulders and bring him to me.
"I understand... But, how can you not have any siblings? Everyone has siblings."
"Er, well, not any that live with me. I'm technically an only child... theoretically."
I blink at him but get up.
"I think it would be best if I let my dad know you're here. He may be able to help out and give us some answers. Do you trust me?"
"Yes."
"Then trust me."
I leave the room and gulp, not ready to face Dad about Nalak being here.

*******************

I knock on Dad's study door and rock on my feet, waiting for him to answer the door. He opens it up and smiles.
"R, what's up?"
"Two things. One, do you know where my electric blanket is?"
"Uh, I don't know. I'd ask Balister, he's usually doing the laundry around here."
"Oh, okay..."
"What's the other thing?"
"Um... can I talk to you in your study? It's kind of important."
Dad nods and I walk into his study, looking at all the papers strewn about and I walk to the small table in the corner of the room as he takes the seat in front of me.
"What's going on, son? Is everything okay?"
"Yeah but... I had some questions I needed answering."
"Okay."
"But first I wanted you know that um... that Nalak is in my room." I say with a flinch.
Surprisingly, Dad doesn't get bent out of shape about it and I look up at him. He seems more in thought than anger and I wait for him to respond to me.
"I see. He found a way in."
"Matt let him in."
"He did? That's odd of him."
"He has a cold if that helps?"
Dad smirks. "No... So, he's in the house..."
"Yeah but I told him not to leave the room. Whether he follows directions-"
"How did you say it?"
"I said don't leave the room."
"What did he say?"
"Of course...?"
"Then he'll do what you ask of him. No worries there."
"Okay... Dad, please explain things to me. I know you have to know about albinos and... and please tell me why you never told me why I am RH-. Does that have to do with me not being able to get pregnant like other people?"
Dad seems to get angry at that but he sighs, rubbing his face with his hands.
"You don't need to know about your blood type, R. Just know that it is for your own protection."
"Yes I do!" I yell, standing up. "Why can't I know my own body? Why can't you just tell me what I want to know?! Why is it always so cryptic with you? I just want to understand what I am and what I have to do with Nalak. I want to understand Nalak so that I won't be afraid! Why is it so hard for you to tell me what I want?!"
Dad looks at me calmly and motions to the seat.
"Please sit down, R. I can explain some things, but as to why you can't know about why I didn't tell you, I can't and won't tell you. You have to trust that I have a good reason for hiding the truth from you. I promise. But... now that I know about Nalak being here, I have to call the RDC to take him to the Badlands."
"No. Please Dad, don't. I... I'll take him myself."
Dad blinks a little. "Do what?"
"I'll take him to the Badlands myself. I can't just leave him in the hands of the RDC. What kind of friend would I be? We'll make the journey together and I'll make sure he gets to where he needs to go safely and then come back. Okay?"
Dad rubs the back of his neck. "I'm not so sure that's a good idea..."
"Of course you don't. What do I say that ever is a good idea?" I snap.
Dad makes a face. "R, you're being unreasonable. You're going to have to deliver him to the B2 Sector of the Badlands. That means you have to get through B1, where the RDC is anyway. With you being an RH-..." Dad sighs. "Look, Ramey, I just don't think it's a good idea. There are too many unknown variables in that trip."
"I can't just leave him to the RDC! Who knows what they would do to him?"
Dad gets a dark look on his face and glares at me.
"It will be a lot less worse than what they will do to you."
I sit down immediately as he watches me. I've never seen him like this before.
"Dad, please... Please let me take him there. I feel like I'm useless and unworthy of anything. If nothing else, I know that I'll be a good friend and get him to where he needs to go, not running around with the RDC after him and all sorts of stuff. There isn't anything to protect myself from whatever it is you're afraid of?"
Dad leans on the table. "I can't tell you everything but I'm sure you've heard that RH-s can control albinos, right?" I nod. "I can tell you for a fact that there will be those who try to capture you because they want what you have. The RDC wants to use that power to keep the albinos in the Badlands at bay as well as... other things. They will stop at nothing to get this done."
"Then what makes me so special? I'm sure there are plenty of other RH-s around for them to use."
"Son, do you know how an RH- and an albino are made from Normals? You can't just cause those things to happen."
"Then please explain it to me, please!"
Dad leans back and bites his nail for a minute.
"If I tell you, will you weigh your decision more carefully?"
I nod. "If I have some answers, it will be much easier to weigh."
Dad sighs and leans on the table again. "Alright then..."