Where They Can't See Me

Prologue:

She gasped for breath, running over last weeks newspapers that she couldn't read, stepping on yesterday's breakfast. It was a mess and she knew it, but she couldn't think about it now. Her forehead rested in her hands as she half-ran, but it didn't stop the dizzy. It didn't even help.

She tried to hop over a small night stand, but pushed it over instead, knocking over her favorite lamp, a glass of water, and a picture of her last year. She was only nine. Now she was ten, and cameras didn't scare her anymore. The glass shattered instantly, but it didn't make any sound in comparison to the throbbing of her head.

She reached the counter top, and she used her free hand to push off all the excess mess. She pulled hard on the drawer door, grunting with the effort.

As the drawer flew open, some of it's contents inside flew out, but she ignored them, fingering the pearly white spheres. Picking out seven, she popped them into her mouth, one at a time. Slowly, it began to take effect, and the dizziness slowed, the throb of her head gone. She could physically feel the skin place itself together. As she pulled her hand away, she looked down. It was covered in blood. Too much blood.

Seven. Seven was all it took now. She couldn't tell if it was good or bad.

It was just now that she noticed the pounding outside her door. She remembered now, why and how she had cut her forehead open. She had vague memories of locking the steel doors, encased by thick wood. She took four deep breaths, knowing they couldn't get in now. All They had were knives. And knives couldn't break her walls.

She opened her window a crack, and took a sparing glance down. The height always made her head spin. There They were, just a few of them, but they were there, dotting the field that separated her and the Outside.

Slowly, the pounding on her door stopped, and minutes later, she saw Them exit, and join the few out there. They knew their job was done. It didn't even matter that They were locked out, because They knew that meant she was locked in as well. They waited for her. She knew. They left the fields, but she watched Them. They leave, but They stay right outside the perimeter, on the Outside. They wait for her.

She shut the window, and blinked a few times, and shut her eyes for a few minutes, until her head stopped spinning. Afterwards, she sat down on her old rickety chair, the one that squeaked. But it was her favorite. Her favorite because He had brought it, He had brought it from the Outside.

She leaned back, and closed her eyelids lightly. She wondered when He would be back again. His last visit was a couple of weeks ago. She did the math in her head. Six more weeks. She didn't think she could wait that long for anything. But time after time, she waited the two months for Him. Because He was the one thing she needed. Him, and the pearly white spheres.  

He was old. Maybe fifteen? She didn't know for sure. She didnt think anyone could be that old. He reminded her of her dad. A younger version. They told her she didn't have a dad. But she had read enough books with no pictures to know everyone had daddies. She knew she was right, she knew They were lying. And the faintest memory of herself as a child in a man arms and laughing at the touch of a woman proved it. She had a family, even if it only existed in her head.

She picked up a dirty pillow, tossing it on the floor beside the couch. She leaned sideways, at what would be an awkward angle, but she was used to it. She shuffled until she found the position, the way she fell asleep every-night. She looked at the clock. Only seven-thirty, but she was exhausted already. She shut her eyes tight, and said prayer.

"Dear God, 

Thank you for everything. Thank you for the couch, and  the table, and the stove, of course. Thank you for the door. It saves my life everyday.  Please help me, and please help Them. Could He come earlier this month? Please? And thank you, I almost forgot, sometimes it's hard to remember. But I'm ten you know! I have manners now, I have to remember."

She waited a minute.

"Amen." She smiled.

She opened her eyes, took a look around, then shut them again, counting sheep. She had only gotten to 23, and she was already fast asleep.  

======= 

Opinions please:)

I guess this is a messed up rapunzel??? Lol

And i get that her prayer is kinda weird sounding, she's still ten, so her grammar's all weird.

Comment and Vote!