Chapter Five: scaredevil

16 years earlier

Pain. Pain, pain everywhere. Fist after fist collided into Matt Murdock's stomach. He was lying down in the cold, hard, dirty gravel of the basketball court, surrounded by a group of boys. They were all bigger than Matt, stronger, faster, more popular. There was nothing he could do. The gangs ringleader (a short, stubby,black haired boy called Nate Hacket) chanted:
"Daredevil, scare devil, wears girls underwear devil!"
The name had originated after Matt had (again) begrudgingly refused to come out and play. In fact, Matt remembered reading Treasure Island that very day. Oh, how he had looked forward to the adventures of Jim Hawkins. Oh, how his heart had sank when he remembered Nate and his gang.
"What's the problem Murdock?" Nate had taunted, "you gotta read? Be careful not to get a paper cut daredevil !"
To which a chorus of laughs had followed. Since then, for the last year, Nate had refused to put the name down. Sometimes, Matt felt like his name was Daredevil Murdock.
Thud!
A rough punch to the stomach brought him back to reality, and back to Nate Hacket's grinning face. It wasn't a happy grin however, it was a grin of cruelty and childish hatred. To Matt, Nate's face signified everything that was wrong with the world.
"I said what's the matter Daredevil?" Nate cowered, "burn yourself on a reading lamp?"
"Ha! Good one Nate," snorted a boy with messy blonde hair who threw a viscous kick at Matt's stomach. The boy's foot collided with it's target with immense force. The pain was agonising and Matt could feel stars appear at the sides of his vision.
"Kick him again," squeaked a boy wearing a black beanie.
"Please, no." Matt whimper, his voice breaking with pain.
"What's that?" Nate cried, bringing his face next to Matt's, "Is the daredevil scared?"
"I think he is." Chortled a boy with curly hair.
"The daredevil is scared." Called another boy.
"Kick the scare devil," chanted the beanie boy.
"Go on Nate!" yelled the blonde.
And then, with a devilish grin, Nate sent a kick straight into Matt's face, causing the so-called scare devil to black out.
When Matt came to he was still on the floor, lying in the exact same position as before, on the exact same piece of tarmac. They'd left him there. Well, Nate Hacket had. The others were just playing along, trying to fit in, making sure not be on the receiving end of one of Nates kicks. Matt couldn't blame them for that, God taught forgiveness after all and Matt was religious: a catholic.
"Still," Matt said to himself, "Nate Hacket is a complete--"
"--language child."
Matt spun on his heels, startled by the familiar voice in the unfamiliar environment. It was his priest, out on a stroll. The priest was old with thin wiry hair and wrinkled skin and eyes full of wisdom and weariness. His white collar still stood out against his black clothes and his smile sent a slither of warmth down Matt's spine.
"Sorry Father, I ask for your forgiveness," replied Matt in the way he had always been taught.
"And forgiveness is given to you," replied the priest formally, bowing his head, "you okay?"
"Yeah," Matt lied.
"Did someone hurt you Matthew? You seem to have a few cuts on your knee."
"Oh it's nothing, I was just tired is all."
"That's two lies you've told me now, God can only forgive so much in so little time. Shall we start again, with the truth?"
"Okay, it was Nate, he was laughing at me, shoving me, kicking me, calling me names."
The Priest was quiet for a moment, taking in Matt's response, choosing the right thing to say.
"Do you know why they do that Matthew?" He asked putting his hand on Matt's shoulder.
"I dunno, because I read?"
"No, Matthew. Try again, think harder."
"Because they don't like me. Because they are better than me?"
The priest shook his head: "the opposite. They are jealous of you Matthew. You're smart and kind. They're not. Deep down they wish they were. That's why they aree horrible to you. Doesn't make it right but it makes you understand them a bit better and if you understand your enemy then they are your friend."
"Thank you father," Matt said, "thanks so much."
"You are welcome. Would you like some ice cream? I hear it makes everything better."
"It does."
"Well, I've got some in the church, we could head there now, Give your dad a ring, see if he fancies some vanilla."
"Yeah," Matt said grinning," let's do that.

Hope you all enjoyed this introduction to Matt's past. We'll find out more about his early years soon. Until then, next chapter shows the life of Nate Hacket.