EXCERPT

She was about to swim off in a huff when an enormous shadow loomed up just below Web.

Before anyone knew what was happening, the monstrous form filled the sea beyond the reef and swept Web upwards.

Suddenly a great jet of air and water tossed Web into the sky.

'Whoa, babe! Awesome!' he yelled.

But that was before he tumbled back and landed in the sea with a splat.

'Oops, sorry about that, sport,' a grumbling voice sort of moaned through the water. 'I bet that smarts.'

The voice belonged to a juvenile humpback whale who was cruising north for winter.

'I was down pretty deep and had to come up for a breather,' the whale explained. 'I should have kept a better eye out.'

'That's OK,' Web said, rubbing his belly. 'It was worth the wicked ride.'

'Thrill-seeker, eh?' the whale said.

'Ignore him, he's just a show-off,' Wave said. 'His name is Web and I'm Wave.'

'Pleased to meet you,' the whale replied. 'I'm Davo and I've come up here for a holiday with my mates Bazza and Shane.'

'Where have you come from?' Web asked.

'Antarctica. It takes weeks to get there,' Davo explained.

'Sounds exciting,' Wave said.

'Well, it's a bit boring really, but there are interesting bits.'

So Davo told them all about the interesting bits. Humpback whales and many other whale types,  spend their time travelling all over the Pacifi c Ocean including the East Australian Coast. They hang out in the icy waters off Antarctica between December and April stuffi ng their faces with as much  food as they can, because that has to last them for the rest of the year