19 ⦿ in which it's over before it begins

December 24, 2010 7:00 p.m.

My bold statement coaxes a laugh from the people closest to me, and even Marcus looks mildly impressed. "You're candid," he remarks, leaning back in his seat with a grudging expression on his face. He chuckles, prompting more laughter from some of the other stooges sitting by his side. "You've got spunk."

Graeme's face is a thundercloud. She wrings her napkin so violently that Xander looks at her with concern, before finally draping it over her lap.

"Thanks." I settle back in my chair, not sure if Marcus meant it as a compliment or not. Maybe he genuinely likes me. Maybe he just likes getting under Graeme's skin. Or maybe he just thinks I'm a worthy adversary. Everyone else here, his own kids included, seems to handle him by either ignoring him as far as possible or shamelessly sucking up to every joke and story he tells.

The rest of dinner goes off without a hitch, and soon we're all stuffed with wine, roasted squash, rack of lamb, lobster bisque, asparagus, braised carrots, pecan pie, and a handful of other delicacies that I can't even remember. The table, laden down with platters of food, looked like something from Harry Potter's Great Hall. Not for the first time, I wonder how many servants the family has. It's either a small army or a very, very determined house elf.

Graeme excuses herself shortly after dessert is served, and waves Xander off when he tries to follow her. At his befuddled frown, I mouth what's wrong?

He shrugs, returning his attention to his pie. My lips purse; is this because of what Marcus had said to me? Even so, I wish she wouldn't take it out on Xander.

Wolf's fingers are still playing havoc with my senses, intermittently dancing over my skin, or seeking out my hand every time I put my fork down. Now, however, he rises, dropping his napkin next to his plate. "I'm going to go check on Graeme," he announces, even though it's only Rhona, Xander, and me who even notice she left.

Xander, unaccustomed to being adrift, takes Wolf's seat after the plates have all been cleared away by the nimble, almost invisible presence of the footmen.

The men all retire to Marcus' study for port and a cigar while Rhona offers the women coffee in the lounge. Soon, it's just him and me left.

"So what's going on with you and Wolf?" he asks, tapping his fingers against the polished wood table. "You guys seemed..." he trails offs.

"Friendly?" I suggest.

He shakes his head, looking unsure. "Like there's something going on between you."

"I'm not sure." The words slip out of me with terrifying frankness. "I barely know him. I don't want to be toyed with." The again is left unsaid. I chew my lip. "Would that bug you?"

"No, he's...he's a good guy." Xander clears his throat. "He's just not who I thought you would have liked."

"Someone more like Levi?" My lips twist into a knowing smile.

"He seems more your type," Xander agrees, but only after casting a glance to the door as if to make sure it's still closed.

"I thought so too. But..."

"But you like Wolf anyway, even if it doesn't make sense." He grins. "Trust me, I get it. Graeme isn't exactly my ideal choice for a girlfriend, either."

"Is she your girlfriend now?" I can't hold back my elated gasp. "Oh my god, Xand!"

"No!" His eyes widen comically. "Not yet. It's weird asking someone that at my age, you know?"

"Yeah, because you're soooo old," I say with a teasing smile.

"It's not like high school. You can't just be like, 'Wanna go out with me?', Charlotte."