The Regret

It's been two days since Hiccup ran away on a Night Fury. The shock and anger still lingered fresh around Berk. People wanted answers. Why did Hiccup befriend the most deadliest dragon ever known? Why did he choose it over his own chief-his own dad!? The Berkians were determined to find out why their heir would betray them so willingly but after many searches they were ready to find out if their beds were still comfortable.

Nighttime; and an angry storm rocked Berk without mercy. Two boats slammed against the docks. The people on board held on to what they can. Once the waters settled down enough the men climbed out and sauntered into town. The first to great them back was Stoick. He stood there with pain in his eyes. The events three nights ago were still in his mind. "Any sigh of them?" he asked over the roaring wind.

"Nothing," one viking responded," Just like the other times."

"Well get back out there and look HARDER!" Stoick bellowed, "My son must be found."

The tired men groaned. "We've searched for them at least ten times today," another viking complained, "It's night, we're exhausted, and it's storming like mad!"

"I don't care!" Stoick exclaimed," We have to find him!"

"You have to find him," one viking threw his helmet to the ground," Your the only one who wants that pathetic boy back!"

"Say that again," Stoick growled pointing his axe at the man," I dare ya."

The viking shook his head," Whatever. I'm going to bed."

The other tired vikings turned and left for their homes; leaving their chief alone in the rain. Stoick watched them walk away. He clutched his axe then threw it to the ground in rage. The weapon bounced a few feet.

O

Stoick stalked back to house. Once he was in he slammed the door; it bounced back open. The heavy rain leaked a few inches inside. The Chief dropped his helmet on the floor and fell into his large chair. He leaned over a tablet that was littered with drawings of the Night Fury. After his son had left, Stoick found these drawing hidden away in Hiccup's little area at the blacksmith shop. Stoick stared sown at the drawings in anger. The drawings made the dragon look innocent and cute but Stoick wanted nothing more than to see it dead.

"Toothless is the only friend I've ever had."

Is that true? Was that dragon his only friend? Stoick knew that his son wasn't like other vikings; that he wasn't tough or strong or capable of fighting. Did he really feel that much of an outcast? Stoick thought, Why didn't he never come to me?...Was...Was I a terrible father to him?

"It's because I'm runt? Because I'm not the son you wanted!"

Stoick closed his eyes and rubbed his forhead; a headache was creeping up on him. He opened his eyes, taking a second look at the Night Fury drawings. A Friend? That's what this dragon is to Hiccup. It was a friend that accepted him for who he was. And...I didn't, Stoick turned away from the drawings. He felt like a failure. He had chased his own son away. His son...who just wanted to be accepted for who he was. Stoick felt the sting of hot tears build up; and for the first time in his life...he let them fall.