A Short History of the 6th Division Aug. 1914-March 1919

A SHORT HISTORY OF THE 6TH DIVISION***

E-text prepared by Sigal Alon, Christine P. Travers, and the Project Gutenberg Online Distributed Proofreading Team (http://www.pgdp.net/) from page images generously made available by Internet Archive/Canadian Libraries (http://www.archive.org/details/toronto)

Note: Images of the original pages are available through Internet Archive/Canadian Libraries. See http://www.archive.org/details/hist6thdivision00marduoft

Transcriber's note:

Obvious printer's errors have been corrected.

The original spelling has been retained.

Page 76: Two instances of AAA left by the printer have been replaced by dots.

Explanations of British/Canadian military abbreviations can be found at http://www.1914-1918.net/abbrev.htm and http://www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk/military%20abbrevations.shtml

A SHORT HISTORY OF THE 6th DIVISION

Aug. 1914-March 1919

Edited by

MAJOR-GEN. T. O. MARDEN C.B., C.M.G.

London Hugh Rees, Ltd. 5 & 7 Regent Street, S.W.1 1920

PREFACE

This short history has been compiled mainly from the War Diaries.

My reason for undertaking the task is that there was no one else to do it, the units composing the Division being scattered far and wide, and there being no Divisional habitat with local historians as in the case of Territorial and New Army Divisions. My object is that all who served with the Division for any period between 1914-1919 may have a record to show that they belonged to a Division which played no inconspicuous part in the Great War.

I regret that it has been impossible to tabulate the honours (except V.C.s) won by officers and men of the Division, and it is also inevitable that the names of many individuals to whom the success of the Division in many operations was largely due should go unrecorded. The Infantry naturally bulk large in the picture, but they would be the first to admit that their success could not have been obtained without the splendid co-operation of the Artillery, who are sometimes not even mentioned in the narrative; and this theme might be elaborated considerably.

My particular thanks are due to Lt.-Col. T. T. Grove, C.M.G., D.S.O., R.E., to whom the credit belongs for the form taken by the history and the more personal portions of the history itself. I also wish to thank Lt.-Gen. Sir J. Keir, K.C.B., D.S.O., and Major-Gen. C. Ross, C.B., D.S.O., as well as several Brigadiers and C.O.s, for so kindly reviewing the periods of which they had personal knowledge.

In conclusion, I wish to add that every copy sold helps towards the erection of Battlefield Memorials to be placed in France and Flanders.

T. O. MARDEN, _Major-General._ _April 1920._

CONTENTS

CHAPTER PAGE

I. MOBILIZATION AND MOVE TO FRANCE 1

II. BATTLE OF THE AISNE 3

III. MOVE TO THE NORTH AND FIRST BATTLE OF YPRES 6

IV. ARMENTIÈRES 10

V. YPRES SALIENT 13

VI. THE SOMME 20

VII. LOOS SALIENT 28

VIII. CAMBRAI 35

IX. GERMAN OFFENSIVE OF MARCH 1918 44

X. YPRES SALIENT AGAIN 53