Chapter Two - Part 2

The airport bustled with crowds of civilians, as Kale made his way through security. As habit commanded he couldn't help but be guarded against those around him.

Last time he'd made his way through this place was heading out. Kale had been so disgustingly optimistic about it. Yeah he'd been scared as shit too but also excited. After months of training he was finally heading out there. Going to go claim a piece of the glory, make a name for himself. And he had.

He'd been a natural, one of the best shots in the entire regiment. How had he ended up here? It had all happened so fast, one minute everything was semi-normal and he somewhat content, and now... what was he going to do with himself?

Everything around him seemed to be moving at warp speed with all the changes pulling him around like a mannequin.

Distracted as he was, it took longer than it normally would to go through all the procedures and when he finally exited to the waiting area two hours had come and gone.

Hefting his only bag higher up on his good shoulder Kale got his first glance at the only person waiting for his arrival.

When David spotted him he yelped and with his usual buoyant energy Kale remembered ran over and gave him a bear-hug as he pounded on his back. Kale's shoulder began to throb but he ignored it and was surprised by the emotion that washed over him at seeing his old friend.

"Jesus man, your actually back! Your alive! Dude after all those years with not even a word from you I thought you'd died you asshole! Couldn't send a letter or something? My parents are going to skin you alive when we get home. So what's happened? Are you out permanently?"

Kale was just as surprised, not that he was back but at the being alive part. He'd always thought that he'd most likely come back in a casket.

Well beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Kale smiled anyways, "I'll tell you all about it as soon as we get to your place. I want to tell all of you at the same time. Get it over in one go. Now let's get out of here. I hate airports."

The drive back was long and most of the time was spent with Kale listening as David filled him in on what had changed since he'd last been here an eternity ago.

After half an hour spent talking about David's time at the police academy and how he was already making strides on his way towards becoming detective, silence fell.

"So I'm guessing you don't know, huh? Well obviously not, you've been off on your little adventure for years."

"Know what?"

David didn't say anything for a while and Kale just concentrated on the passing scenery, as it whizzed by, a blur of yellow and green from the fields and farmland and forest.

Finally David dared to break the silence.

"She's married now."

Kale knew this had been coming and old bitterness rose up within him, he didn't need to ask who David was talking about. He should have expected it but still it came as a surprise, what an idiot he was. Old resentments arose in him along with a sharp jab to his pride.

"Married huh. When did that happen?", was all he said, an attempt at aloof that was easily seen through.

"A while ago." David murmured evasively

Kale wasn't going to fall for that.

"Just tell me man. I'm going to find out eventually anyways."

That silence made another appearance as Kale held his breathe.

"A little more than five years."

Ouch.