The Wedding Tradition

**The absolutetley beautiful cover was made by bubblegumdrop at Liberty Covers, so.. give her a round of applause! :)

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I groaned and rolled over to turn my alarm off. I groggily hit the snooze button and glanced over at the time, 8:00.

"Eight o'clock? How is it already eight?" I cried and jumped out of bed, trying to hurry my routine up. I took an insanely speedy shower and had just gotten out when I heard my doorbell ring.

"Just a minute!" I yelled, flustered, I threw on a shirt and a pair of sweatpants.

I opened the door while squeezing the water out of my hair using a towel. My neighbor, Collin, was on the other side with a sheepish grin.

"Hey, can I borrow your coffee pot again?" He asked

"Still didn't get a new one?" I questioned him.

He shook his head no.

"Sorry, sure, come on in. I'm just running late. Really late." I said, already walking into my room to finish getting ready.

"Late for what?" Carter asked as he went to make himself a cup of coffee.

"My sister's wedding cake testing appointment." I called with an exaggerated sigh, "she apparently wants to get me fat."

Collin replied with a smiled, "sounds like fun, you get free cake!"

I laughed and slipped on my shoes while walking towards the door. "Now come on, get out." I said while grabbing my purse and ushering him out the door.

"Alright, I'm out I'm out!" He said getting up and walking into the hallway, "I'll see you later?"

I nodded and shouted a "see you, Collin!" As I ran down the stairs and onto the streets of Brooklyn below.

I CHECKED MY PHONE again making sure I had the right address. The building I was looking up at was at least three stories, a creamy white and was accented with light purple trim. The only thing that reassured me I was at the right place was the big sign over the window reading, Captivating Cakes.

I cringed at the name. Captivating Cakes? Wonder what makes them so captivating.

I was still pondering the name as I walked into the shop and was suddenly greeted by my excited, and slightly annoyed, older sister, Courtney.

"You're here! Almost fifteen minutes late, but here nonetheless. Lucky for you I negotiated with the cute manager and got us another slot in twenty." Courtney said with a wink followed by a hug

"By negotiated did you happen to mean flirt?" I questioned her, "and it's good to see you too, Court." I said sarcastically as she pulled me over to a table by the large front windows.

"How's the wedding planning been going?" I asked her, only slightly interested in what she was going to say. Unlike Courtney, I was not a perfectionist, or a traditionalist, and could care less about wedding details. Everything in Courtney's life had to go exactly as planned, and her wedding was no different. The flowers, the dress, the food, the decorations, and now the cake- it all had to be just right.

"Good so far," she began while subconsciously straightening the table cloth, "we have almost everything worked out, besides some minor details. Which reminds me, do you have a date?"

"A date? No, I don't need one. Oh, look at that cake, we should try that one." I pointed at it, trying to avoid the topic of a date, and my love life.

Courtney gasped,"yes you need a date! You're the maid of honor, and it's a tradition in our family that the maid of honor always brings a date, because-"

"Because whoever the maid of honor brings, will wind up being the love of her life." I finished for her, "I know, I know, I just.. Forgot."

"You can never forget about tradition Brooke." Courtney scolded me with a frown, "now come on, I think it's about time for our cake sampling!" Her mood lightened as she went over to see if we could start.

Now I had to find a date, but not just any date. I had to find myself the date.