Playing the Player (3)

~left is Jaxton, right is Maddox~

Yum yum, the Cole twins.

***********************************

As I suspected by lunch time the entire school is buzzing with news of my return. I really don't get why everyone is obsessed with the topic, new gossip I guess. Then again it's my fault for drawing attention to myself. Dumbing my drink on one of the most popular guys at the school? Yeah, not a smart idea for someone trying to stay under the radar.

As I continue past the tables to an empty one near the back of the cafeteria I hear whispers that have me gritting my teeth.

Woah, is that Valentine Hills? She lost a lot of weight...

I thought she moved after her mother died.

I heard she was just as crazy as her mother...

Why would they let someone like her back into a public school?

I ignore the not so quiet whispers as I keep my eyes trained on the empty table in front of me. I feel the urge to hit something or someone, specifically those whispering about me. Mr. Gate's threat to call my father pops into my mind and I take a deep, calming breath. That is something that I sure as hell don't want to happen. I sit and pull out my self made spaghetti, disappointed that I don't have my frappachino to go with it.

I pick at my food and zone out, thinking about the past. I stare at the empty seats around me, even two years ago I had sat alone. Burdens of life had been a hundred pounds lighter and I a hundred pounds heavier. All I worried about was shooting for valedictorian and getting into a good college. It didn't matter that Heather along with half the school population bullied me. Didn't matter that I had no friends or I was fat. I had my mom and my dad. That's all I needed. I wasn't outgoing and I didn't stand up for myself. I was convinced that none of it mattered.

I shake my head at my old self, I was such a push over. But not anymore, the harshness of life had corrupted me. Stripping away my past innocence and in its place leaving behind pain and the realization that life is a bitch.

"Do you mind if I sit with you?" Asks a meek little voice.

I look up to find a girl with wavy, golden hair stuffed under a hood and baggy clothes that hang off her small frame. She stands awkwardly with her head down as if she's waiting for me to tell her to piss off. I was going to do just that but she reminded me of the old me and I just couldn't turn her away.

"Of course, be my guest."

She jumps slightly as if she wasn't expecting me to be nice and allow her to sit. She quickly sets down her tray of cafeteria food, aka crap in disguise, and shuffles into the seat across from me.

"My name is Alaina Samuels."

"Valentine Hills."

"I know," my eyes narrow as I wait for her to say something about the rumors, "I don't believe the rumors. I think it's all a load of crap."

I'm slightly shocked at the anger I see as she says this, "People just don't have better things to do except create rumors to make other people's live's hell."

I'm about to say something when Ms. Suck and swallow decides to make an appearance.

"Well if it isn't wide load and her pathetic little friend."

My lips twitch in anger at my old nickname, wide load. Not that it applied to me now since my body was now fit and athletic. Heathers female dogs stand obediently behind her, cackling at what she just said. The cafeteria has become deathly quiet as everyone watches our little scene with curiosity. Most people probably expect me to cower down and take what she's dishing out. Not today, not ever again. I start looking around, an exaggerated look of confusion on my face.