2

After the last bell rung I caught up with Patrick. "So what are you doing after school?" I ask.

"Well, I was just going to go home."

"Do you think you could hang out with me? You know, we could get some coffee." He smiled. "I'd enjoy that." We walked to my car in a comfortable silence.

"So, what kind of music do you listen to?" I ask.

"Mostly rock." I started the car. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana came on. Patrick tapped his foot to the beat. I thought that was so adorable.

"So, I'm sorry. I have terrible social skills." I say. "No, no, no. Its fine. I'm the one not talking. But I have to ask you a question." I bite my lip.

"Yes?"

"That sing you were writing earlier, who was that about?"

"Uh, this boy."

"What's his name?"

I think if a name really fast.

"Brendon." I say.

"Oh, okay." A flash of jealously was in his eyes.

"Why?"

"Because it was cute." We pulled into Starbucks. I got out of the car and opened the door for Patrick. "Thank you." He said. He stood up.

We walked inside and the smell of coffee filled the store, making my mouth water.

"Hello, Pete." The girl behind the counter said.  "Hello, Jessica." She gave me a soft, innocent smile. "The usual?" She asked.  I nod. "And," I look at Patrick. He whispered his order in my ear.

"One green tea." She gave us our order and I paid for us. "I'll pay for me." Patrick said. "No you won't." We took our stuff and sat down. "Sorry for not ordering for myself." Patrick said. "No it's fine." He gave me a small smile. We sat in comfortable silence.

I pulled my notebook out of my backpack. I quickly write something down.

I hope this is the last time, because I'd never say no to you.

This conversation's been dead on arrival.

There's no way to talk to you.

When you're dead

"What are you writing now?" Patrick asked.

"Just a song." I say. He took a sip of his drink. I look up from my book. I rest my face on my fist, watching Patrick. "I didn't know you wrote songs. I do too." He pulled out his notebook. He opened his note book. The first page.

I use to waste my time dreaming of being alive.

Now I only waste it dreaming of you.