Chapter 4

Tayuya sat in class, looking out the window as she thought about the previous event that day.

Matsuri composed herself and pulled away from Yukata's grasp. "I was just talking with Tayuya, Gaara-sama. Which reminds me, you can't possibly go out with Tayuya! She's not for you!"

Tayuya smirked and took this opportunity to get Stage Two over with. "We aren't dating."

"Huh?"

"We aren't. There was a project and we became partners for a day." The redhead walked over to Gaara and kissed him dead on the lips. "Thanks for yesterday."

With that, the girl left, leaving the group awestruck. Matsuri shook in her spot, tears threatening to leave her eyes as she clenched her fists.

"You're dead, Tayuya!"

"Trash." She murmured to herself as Kakashi-sensei droned on about his math lesson. No sooner had class been dismissed, everyone disappeared in hurry. Sakura held up her cellphone in front of Tayuya's face with a triumphant grin. On the screen was a snapshot of Tayuya kissing Gaara.

"What if Shikamaru thinks you're lying? You always need proof." Ino smirked.

Tayuya shrugged and left the room with them to go to gym class. Today was the start of their swimming season, so all gym classes were going to be using the pool. Once everyone changed into their swim uniforms, they gathered around the poolside in front of their gym teacher, the energetic Guy-sensei.

"...Swimming is a very youthful sport." Guy explained to his less enthusiastic class. While he spoke to everyone, Tayuya looked around, scoping out her class for another prey. Her eyes landed on a familiar face - that of Kiba Inuzuka. The male, however, simply glared at her and turned away. Tayuya scoffed and looked away herself.

"Who's first to try?" Guy-sensei carried on. "How about... Gaara? Where is your swimsuit? Are you not feeling the power of youth from swimming?"

Gaara stared back at the male in silence before replying out of common courtesy. "I left my swimsuit at home."

Tayuya tilted her head at the male as their teacher searched around for another victim. In the back of her head, she was reminded of being with Gaara at the beach.

"Why'd you stay so far away?"

"I don't like water."

Furiously, the redhead shook her head. She refused to consider other people's thoughts or feelings. Plus, Gaara hadn't asked her about the kiss since that morning, even though they've been in the same classes all day. The only thing her mind would be on was winning this bet and proving to Shikamaru that she was over him. Thinking about that day in middle school, she clenched her fists out of clear frustration.

"Go Suigetsu-sama!" Cheers called out, which snapped Tayuya out of her thoughts. Her classmates were cheering as class had gone on without her. In the water was Naruto, Kiba, and Suigetsu. Naruto and Kiba seemed like stragglers as Suigetsu glided through the water with ease.

"Suigetsu?"

Ino, who was sitting next to Tayuya, turned her head. "Tayuya, it's Suigetsu-sama. He's seriously good. Even though he's a freshman, he's the captain of the swim team here. His brother, Mangetsu, was the captain and a legend before he graduated last year. I think Suigetsu is going to continue that legacy while he's here."

Tayuya kept her eyes on Suigetsu as he won the race and got out of the pool, taking off his swim cap and goggles. He immediately walked over to a girl Tayuya recognized as Karin and kissed her on the lips.