Last Moments

This is a short story that i wrote for my english assessment, just thought i'd put it up here because i'm curious to see what people think of it :) 

~

I was sitting in the backseat of the car, with my earphones in, music on full blast. Mum and Dad were arguing, again. Their yelling climbed the decibels as their anger reached new levels. I cranked up the volume of my music in a desperate attempt to block out their fury.

I felt so helpless. Sitting in the back while they ripped each other to shreds. They were always at each others throats and I was so sick of their constant battles. Did they even care about me? They didn't seem to care about the fact that I was curling in on myself trying to ignore their hatred.

They never seemed to stop disagreeing with each other. I was so angry with the way I was invisible, unimportant to them. All that seemed to worry them, was proving each other wrong, having the last say. It was horrible.

I sat there, trying to concentrate on my songs. It was just starting to work when... instinctively I looked up, and saw the front of a logging truck looming menacingly over our car. I remember screaming out like a creature possessed. And then time seemed to slow down.

I saw my parents pause their argument as my dad turned to face the wheel. I saw the look of sheer terror on my mothers face. My dad's face bore a look of shock and horror as he desperately tried to wrangle the car out of the path of the oncoming truck. There was a screech as our car veered violently to the right.

I heard the gut-wrenching crunch as the car smacked through the barrier. My whole body was thrown forward and my head bashed forcefully against the back of the passenger's seat. I didn't feel the pain. My whole body had gone numb from shock and adrenaline.

The car continued to skid through the barriers with a noise that made my skin crawl. And then we were hurtling relentlessly towards a steep bank, my breath lodged painfully in my throat.

My stomach was left behind as the car lurched forwards and plummeted off the edge. It felt as though we were falling forever. Suspended in the air for what seemed like centuries. Time stood still.

Then, with a shuddering crunch, the car slammed to the ground. I felt as though my spine had compacted in on itself . I was winded, gasping for breath like a fish out of water.

However the car hadn't finished it's torturous tumble yet. It continued to roll, bucking and spinning it's way down. Every bump brought more fear. My battered body bounced with every impact, tossing around like a leaf in a hurricane.

Finally, the car had tired itself out. It stopped with a final sickening thud at the bottom of the hill. The world was suddenly deafeningly quiet. All I could hear was my heart hammering at my ribs, and my own shuddering breaths. I was still completely numb with shock.

I felt as though I was merely an audience member of a tragedy. I was not a part of what had happened. As if it were all a dream, and I was going to wake up from it all. But these feelings didn't last.

The realization of what had happened jolted me back to reality. Panic flowed freely through my veins, it was as if I had been awoken from my "dream" with a painful pinch.

My parents! Where were my parents!? I looked around frantically. I was met with a horrible scene. The shape of the car was completely unrecognizable. There were shards of glass scattered throughout the wrecked vehicle.

I struggled to free myself from the grip of my seat belt, but a stab of pain stopped me. There was no way I could free myself, it simply hurt too much. The numbness was starting to wear off, and I had to fight for breath over the horrific pain that beginning to overwhelm me.

"Mum?" I whispered. "Dad?" Oh, please let them be okay. I would give anything to have them go back to their arguing. As long as they lived, I could put up with them constantly at each other. I just wanted them to be alright.

"Mum!" I called. "Mum! Dad! Please!"

No answer. I craned my neck, desperate to catch a glimpse of them.

All I saw was blood. So much blood. A wave of nausea washed over me, and I tried to fight the dizziness. All I remember is the colour red. And then the world turned black, and I saw nothing more.

~

Thanks for reading :)

I would really appreciate some feedback on it.

Thanks!

Ash!