chapter six

it's dangerous to fall in love

but I want to burn with you tonight

*

"So this is where you work."

Will's head snaps towards the sound of the voice, a small grin lighting up his face as he spots Hannibal walking towards his desk, a manila folder in one hand.

"Sorry it's not as fancy as your office."

Hannibal huffs a laugh, the sound barely audible as he stops in front of Will. "Are you busy?" he asks, nodding towards the stack of papers lying on the desk.

"Just finished marking them. Why?"

"I finished the profile," he replies, handing the folder to Will. "I thought perhaps you'd like to read it before we give it to Jack."

Will opens the file, eyes skimming over the words he and Hannibal had spent the last week and a half working on. "Did you add much to what I sent you?"

"Not a lot," Hannibal tells him, sitting on the corner of Will's desk. "Just tweaked it."

"Think it'll be good enough?"

"It's very thorough."

Leaning back in his chair, face tilting upwards, Will says, "I think Jack wanted us to wait."

"For what?"

"The next one. Or the next two. The Ripper usually kills in threes."

"And he will," Hannibal murmurs, mouth tilting up in a smirk.

Will didn't doubt that. He knew Hannibal would kill again, in the near future, to complete the Ripper's cycle. He just wasn't sure if he would be asked to join the other man for a second time.

He knows he wants to.

"Do you think we should wait?"

"Maybe. The new kills might bring more information that we'll have to include."

"Then I'll keep the file in my office, ready for when it is needed." Hannibal tells him. "Has there been any progress with our case?"

Will shakes his head, fingers tapping against the paper of their profile. "They still have no clue. Nothing was left behind."

"There never is."

"It's driving them all mad," Will says, a smile growing on his face as he stands. "Jack wants to close it before the next one."

"Something tells me that won't happen."

"No, I don't think it will."

Xxx

His questions are answered by a phone call a few days later.

He's fresh out the shower when his phone beeps, screen lighting up with Jack's contact. He wraps a towel around his waist before answering, already knowing what the call is about.

"Hello?"

"There's been another one," Jack's voice comes through the phone, his tone obviously angry.

"The Ripper?"

"Looks like it."

"Text me the address and I'll meet you there," Will says, hanging up before quickly getting dressed.

He wishes Hannibal would have invited him, just so he could see the other man work once again, to feel the pleasant rush consume his body as they worked together. Nevertheless, he's excited to see what kind of masterpiece Hannibal had created.