Chapter Two- Krill's Followers

A hand on my shoulder startled me out of my deep dreams. I looked up, dreading the face I might see. As it turned out, it was Ambas. Although not all of my worry had been flooded by relief. Ambas’s  face had been invaded with fear and his eyes looked shadowy and haunted.

            Dear Diary,

        After a seemingly never-ending night I was woken by the warm golden sunlight pouring over my skin. At that time no-one was awake that I knew of so I could get lost in my dreams. It was almost magical, apart from Touchfire’s heavy snoring! Suddenly the sun went out like a candle in a breeze as a cloud obscured its blazing face. Hail replaced the mystical glow and stung my skin. As we are travelling light, we brought no portable shelter, just woven mats. Soon everyone was awake and whimpering in the cold morning.

        We packed up our camp so as to save sleeping on drenched mats. Then my attention was tuned into a muffled panting coming from deep in the shadows by a panicky Ambas. I felt a frozen spear of terror fly up my spine and the hairs on the back of my neck prickled. By that time the others had noticed it too. Then all at once four huge fearsome wolves prowled around the rocky corner, white jagged teeth bared. They were emitting a deep, low growl that made me shiver. And just when I thought we were safe!

        I stepped back as I saw their searching, blood red eyes. Their  breathing was heavy and seemed to surround my thoughts, suffocating my senses. The stench of their dark fur filled my nostrils and made me stagger. My lungs could only manage short sharp intakes of breath. The numbers were equal, four of us, four of them. Just at that moment, one of the Wargs (as I now knew they were) crouched, ready to pounce. Then with rippling muscles and shocking speed, it glided flawlessly towards me.

        That must have been a signal because, while I was distracted by the thing hurtling towards me, the other beasts were advancing on my companions. I focused on the hound that was nearing me by the second. Suddenly it seemed to put on a burst of speed and as my thoughts jumbled and crashed inside my mind one thought struck forth:

‘DUCK!’

        I just had time to see the wolfs severe look change to one of shock as it tumbled to the dusty earth, twitching.

        As I stared in awe at my team fearlessly battling the Wargs I felt a hot, damp breeze blowing down the neck of my loose t-shirt. As I turned I saw my own terrified face reflected in the eyes of the very beast I had just avoided.

I was horrified. It was like looking deep into Death itself. Just then I caught a glimpse of light and Calypso was on the back of the Warg , riding it like an untamed horse. I scrambled to my feet. My hero was bravely battling the thing that was about to end my life. All around me, all hell had broken loose.

As I watched, scars were gained on both sides. One Warg fell from the cliff, and I could hear it’s bones snapping as it tumbled into the dark hungry waters below, screeching it’s last farewell.

From behind me a scream unlike any sound pierced my ears. I turned and saw Calypso sprawled on the track. The Wargs left their opponents to stalk over and bend their heads over her pale, still body. From within the huddle I heard crunching. Inside me, a scream echoed around my hollow shell. Not one of them flinched.

Now, as I write, I realize that these are the sounds of death.

I’m sorry I had to share this with you diary. But it’s nice to have at least one weight off my shoulders.

Now it’s just Touchfire, Ambas and me left to continue on the quest in which so many are lost.

Goodbye

Ahora 

x x x