Life of a Band Geek-Chapter One

Chapter One

I pushed my thick rimmed glasses up with my index finger as I unobtrusively shuffled over to the small empty lunch table I’ve been sitting at for the past week. I slowly opened up my crinkled brown bag and emptied the contents out in front of me. I sighed deeply and pushed my silky dark brown hair out of my face. I looked around the cafeteria. Everyone was happily chatting with their friends. Everyone had friends. Except for me. I was just a nobody.

I picked at my orange slices but didn’t really eat that much. I wasn’t hungry and lunch isn’t over until thirty more slow and painful minutes. I threw away my food and decided to walk over to the band room. The conductor is on lunch duty anyways so maybe I’ll be able to be alone and play some music in peace.

The hallways were mainly empty except for a few wandering students who were either skipping class or ‘going to the bathroom’. Even though I’m new to this school, I can say I’ve found my way around quite well. It’s not too hard to memorize where everything is.

I opened the door to my favorite room: the band room. I loved the band room. So much that I can’t even describe it. There were chairs cluttered together, stands knocked over, and not to mention, sheet music and instrument cases crowding the room. I retrieved my instrument case, causing a couple music stands to fall over in the process. I opened my case, which revealed my only friend. My clarinet.

I wet my reed and played a note. I adjusted and tuned using an extra tuner that was lying around. I closed my eyes and started to play. From the moment the warm air started to blow through my clarinet, time stopped. I forgot where I am, who I am, and what I’m doing. The music takes over my body and I feel happy. More than happy. Elated.

Something about music makes me a different person. I will belt out a solo in front of hundreds of people, filled with confidence and bravery. But socially, I’m quite the opposite. I’m a shy and socially awkward person. Interacting with other human beings is not my forte. Once I get to know someone, I become my music self, A.K.A. the confident and friendly girl who’s not afraid. But when I’m with strangers, I can’t be my music self. I’m back to socially awkward. That’s why moving to a new state was so painful for me. I knew I would have to make new friends. But I haven’t succeeded in that field quite yet.

I finished up my song and snapped back into reality. The bell was about to ring in a couple minutes and I swiftly put my wooden clarinet back in its case. I glanced at my schedule and saw that I had Algebra next. Great. I left the band room, wanting to go back and express music forever.

Author's Note: Hey guys. I'm relatively new to Wattpad and I'm sorry if this chapter is a little short. I will make them longer later on. Thanks for reading :)