Chapter Five

Chapter Five:

"It's a Small World."

CHRESANTO:

I don't ask for too much, at least I don't think I do. As I sat in my personal home office staring at Akira as she shuffled through papers, I realized that all the many things I want, were starting to simmer away. My eyes were now focusing on one thing. One person. I tried to hide my glances, but I ended up staring at her for almost 5 minutes.

Her long hair was put in loose curls that bounced with every head movement. She wore a long sleeve white blouse, blue pants and black heels. A shining pearl bracelet rest around her wrist, with matching earrings which were often concealed by her hair. Her lips were painted with a dark red lipstick.

"Are you going to keep staring?" She asked, glancing up before looking down at the papers again.

I blinked a few times before looking down at the unsigned documents on my desk. I grabbed a pen and began reading over the documents. We sat there in silence, the sounds of paper being flipped filling the room.

It has been 3 weeks since Akira has accepted me as a client, and it doesn't seem like those walls she's put up are going to fall anytime soon. I've tried to make conversation about something other than work, and she shut me down right away. When she is speaking to me, there is this dead, void look in her eyes. She smiles at me every once in a while, but except for that, it feels like I'm speaking to a totally different person. When she is talking to Kyle or my mom, her whole demeanor changes. It happens so quickly, I don't even have time to question it.

Yet, there is one thing that has been plastered in the back of my mind.

The guy on the phone.

Every time her phone rings, I know it's this guy, when that shy smile pulls at the corner of her lips. She'll excuse herself from the room as she answer the phone.

She utters a giddy, "Hey," and smiles. She walks back into the room a few minutes later, a small giggle of her tongue. When I curiously asked who called, she ignores me and continues her work. It's driving me mad.

"Chresanto," She said, pulling me from my thoughts. That's when I realized that I've been scribbling on the important documents.

I looked up to see her warm brown eyes on me, "Yes?"

"Why do you have to build on this land?" She looked back down at the papers once again, reading something for a moment, before looking my way. Her eyes held questions, which I didn't want to answer.

"Because, that area is right near the small shopping center, it would attract more people to the store." I explained, softly. It seems like I am going to lose that spot in the mall, to Fashion 4 Seoul, so I have decided to build Forever21 as its own independent store. It'll have 3 levels and will attract more customers than a small one level space in an overpriced mall. I just need the land.

"So, you want to pay off the people living in that neighbor, so you can destroy their houses and make a store?" Her usually professional tone was melting into that stern voice she would often give me.

I nodded, "Yes, I don't see the problem. I'll give them all enough money to buy another house, and even more. I don't understand the problem." I retorted, leaning back in my tall leather seat.

She mumbled something before looking down at the papers again.

"I am going to make some calls to the owner of those houses, and see their take on it. Your intimidating classes, offering them money senseless is not going to convince them." She stood up from her seat, picking up two piece of paper. She walked over to my desk. I couldn't take my eyes off her as she strolled over.