Chapter Twelve: Broken Pride

CHAPTER TWELVE: 

The second our lips touched, my whole body caved into him. Wanting him, hungry--for him. Nerves, adrenaline, joy pulsed through my veins. My kiss was gentle, as was my touch. I did not ask much from him. I am only twelve after all, soon thirteen, but twelve nevertheless. Kissing was foreign, as was death, but after seeing the devil and entering the gates of Hell, I needed someone to hold me. 

A bell went off in my head. 

Aden was not holding me... He was not even responding to my kiss. He was frozen, shocked. My heart tightened, and I pulled myself away. 

Instantly my body numbed, and I fumbled for words.

“Oh God! Aden, I--I am so sorry. I wasn’t thin--”

Suddenly, Aden’s forefinger touched my lips and all my nervousness vanished. Next his finger traced down my lips to my chin where his thumb gently pushed my head up.

“Be quiet, Ro.”

My heart skipped a beat. 

As I was about to respond he brought his lips down to meet mine and I was on fire. This time he craved me, and with his fingers in my hair, his breath on my face and his heart beating with mine I grew dizzy. I needed air, but I did not want to break our kiss. So I closed my eyes and placed my hands on his cheeks. Right at that moment, my heart took over. 

In that split second when my heart did, I allowed myself to simply act upon my feelings. It was instinct; warm, powerful, raw instinct. Some call it animalistic, the act of a savage. But this--this was more than doing. I was giving into my deepest desires. I had no other thoughts. I acted, and that is the way it should be--before your conscience snaps you out of the haze your mind is trapped in that is.

Unfortunately, the kiss Aden and I shared was cut short with a serge of panic. 

I pushed Aden away, and dropped my head. 

“Rose...” Aden gasped, I felt him shiver as he spoke my name, felt his forehead and nose nuzzle my hair tenderly. I wanted to return his affection, but my mind raced through my memories, flipping through each moment as if I were reading a book.

Levianthan’s voice...his long black nail tracing my face….the way the Sheriff stole my life with his hands...his sinister smile...the gleam of enjoyment in his eyes...rushing through the forest to get away from Garret...from his touch…I clutched Aden’s tunic, afraid of all three men. Of what they had done to me. They bared through my thorns and tore off my petals. I was left bare. With no one to hold on to. My heart crumbled, my body shook and collapsed on a started Aden. 

Just as my mind raced through the darkness, it was filled with light, with life, with love. I clutched Aden’s tunic, suddenly remembering the most important event of yesterday. 

Robin...Where was Robin?

Aden tensed and began to slowly comb his fingers through my hair. A door opened, which allowed light to enter. I let Aden go to cover my eyes.

“Um...Is this an inopportune time?”

For the love of all that is holy! Why must Friar Tuck always see me in my worst?

I bit my lip, angry at the sin it had committed, and still ashamed that I was nothing but a broken flower.

“Morning Friar!” Aden cried out with a smile on his scarlet face. I rolled my eyes as Aden embraced Friar Tuck, who returned his own awkward hug before Aden bounded out the door.

Friar Tuck stood there, utterly perplexed. He cleared his throat. My annoyance dwindled, I fidgeted nervously. 

Uh-oh... This does not seem like a good thing...