Chapter Ten

Kara:

“Are you sure you’ll be okay here by yourself?” Kara asked.

            The weekend before Thanksgiving had finally arrived. While Kara and Irina were going home to spend the holiday week with their families, Shirelle was staying behind. Even though Shirelle wasn’t the only student staying at the school, Kara didn’t like the idea of her best friend spending the holiday alone.

            “I already told you I’ll be fine,” Shirelle reminded her. “Besides, it’s not like I have a choice. My grandma doesn’t have the money for me to come for Thanksgiving and Christmas.”

            “If it makes you feel any better, I’d rather stay here with you.” 

            “You’d rather stay with me, or you’d rather stay here and avoid your father and his new girlfriend?”

            “Maybe a little of both.”

            Her family was something Kara didn’t usually talk to people about. By now the whole school knew who her mother was. Being the daughter of a celebrity who died under mysterious circumstances was one of those things she couldn’t get away from, even at a school like Bernard whose students came from all over the country. Still, despite the fame, her family was the one topic of conversation she considered off limits. She told Shirelle and Irina very little and never told Ethan anything.

            “I could still call my dad and see if we could get you a ticket to come with me,” Kara offered.

            “Girl, you don’t need me to come with you,” Shirelle said. “You go see your father and his new girlfriend, and give her a chance before you hate her.”

            That was easier said than done, but Kara agreed to try. It was the best she could do.

Ethan:

“Welcome home, Prince Ethan,” Radu said.

            Radu was their family’s oldest and most trusted servant. He’d been with their family long before Ethan or even Solomon had been born.

            “Thanks, Radu.”

            “I’ve missed hearing the piano in your absence.” 

            Ethan smiled at him. “Maybe I’ll play something for you later.”

            “That would be wonderful,” the old man said and returned his smile. “And what will you do now?”

            “I think I’ll take a walk on the beach.”

            “Have fun, but be careful, Master.”

            Though he promised to be careful, there wasn’t much danger in walking on their private beach. As he walked parallel to the shore, Ethan’s thoughts drifted to Kara. They’d been separated just a few hours, but his heart ached already. When he’d complained to Solomon about it the night before, his brother reminded him it was only a week as opposed to the three weeks they’d be apart at Christmas. Ethan frowned as he recalled that. He and Kara may not have been together physically, but he didn’t intend to be apart from her. Already, he searched for the door of her mind so that he could enter.

            He caught up to her seated beside a man in a Mercedes. The man’s name was Alex Cunningham, and his resemblance to Kara was uncanny. Both had the same dark hair and thoughtful dark eyes.