Hello there.

The ocean sounds drowned out the noisy winds. The cool breeze swept gently across my face as the sun was setting. There I was on the beach, watching the tides come in and out, sitting on the sand—or should I say, IN the sand? I was covered in sand from my neck to my toes, surrounded by my younger siblings. I sighed to myself that day, thinking forever alone... as I looked to my left and saw an endless line of couples. I decided to look to my right. No help. I sighed again and lay back as the kids drowned me with even more sand. As I started to relax a bit, I heard a voice. That voice was the voice of an angel. I suddenly sat up, not realizing that my brothers and sisters were screaming at me because I had pushed all the sand to my feet. I need to find that voice, I thought to myself as I trailed off, wandering around to find who had that voice. Soon I found myself in the middle of the beach, not a single person with that voice. I continued walking around the beach, just to find myself looking like a complete psycho as I walked around the beach like a hopeless little kitty. Soon, I had reached the end of the beach, where the snack bar was. I sighed to myself. I decided to get some ice cream, since I had already exercised enough walking the entire length of the beach. After I got my ice cream, I walked back to my brothers and sisters, because I had totally forgotten about them. As I walked while enjoying my delicious ice cream, I wondered, I wonder if I’ll ever meet that guy with that amazing voice… My thoughts soon took a turn as I felt myself thud to the ground.

“Ow.” I said as I noticed that someone had bumped into me and had knocked my own ice cream into me.

“I’M SO SORRY!!” There it was. The voice. The GUY that HAD the voice. I looked up and saw a guy with a cute smile with dimples reaching over to give me a hand up. “I didn’t see you there. I was playing football and my friend said to ‘go long’. I’m so sorry—,” He stopped in his own words and looked straight into my eyes.

                I think I melted a little bit and I was hoping maybe he did too. We stared into each other’s eyes for a while, and his dark brown eyes and dark brown hair melted right into my soul.

“Sorry, uh, hello. Oh wait, who says “hello” anymore? Uh, hey there. I’m, uh, my name is Nathan. What’s yours?” He stuttered as he talked to me.

I thought that was kinda cute. “I’m Ashleigh. Call me Ash, for short.”

“Will do, Ash.” He smiled and asked, “Need a hand?”

I then realized that I was still lying on the ground with ice cream on my chest. “Oh, yeah. Uh, thanks.”

He smiled at me as he helped me up. “Here, lemme get you a napkin. Be right back.” He ran off in search of a napkin as I stood there and waited.

                He soon came back with a bunch of napkins. “Here you go.” He handed me the napkins.

                “Thanks. I appreciate it.” I said as I wiped off the ice cream from my shirt and from myself.

                “It’s the least I can do, especially since I was the one that knocked you over.” He added the cutest laugh in as he said that.

                “It’s all good.” I smiled. “It was an accident after all, right?”

                “Uh, yeah. An accident.” He looked a little goofy when he said that but I didn’t care.

                “Okay then.” I added with a smile. “I gotta go, my siblings are waiting for me. I’ll see you around.” I waved to him as I took a step in the direction of my new sand grave.

                “WAIT! Uh, do you have a piece of paper and pen?” He stopped me.

                “Well I have this.” I waved one of the napkins at him, smiling.

                He smiled at me and said “I have a pen. Can I see that for a sec?”

                I gave him the napkin and he said “Here’s my number. In case you ever need someone to accidentally spill ice cream over you and you need some napkins afterwards.” He smiled as he jotted down his number on the napkin.

                I giggled. “Will do! But what if I don’t need anyone for that?”

                “Well call anyways.” He smiled at me and waved at me as I walked away.

                My heart had completely melted that day. And it all started with a simple “Hello.” I smiled to myself.