Chapter Forty-three

I felt as though Meilin had forgotten that I was in the palace once more. It was just like in the beginning of our relationship when he was doing whatever and I was cooped up in the room. He didn't call for me or seek me out throughout the whole day, but I couldn't blame him with everything that was happening. He was probably with Vita, or maybe going over political things about what to do with Keung's body, or what to tell the public. He was busy, he was the emperor, and he was emotionally in turmoil with what happened with Vita. It wasn't his fault, but I missed him. Two months without him and I wanted him by my side once more.

The rest of the day I spent in the bedroom lying in bed. I wasn't feeling the best and I felt nauseous; I couldn't stop thinking about how Meilin had broken each and every bone in Keung's body. One hand to his forearm and snap. A kick to his ribs and multiple cracks. One foot on his leg and another snap. Meilin's strength was terrifying, but that didn't stop me from loving him.

When the night crept on and on, I finally couldn't handle it anymore and after dressing up, left the room. Soldiers were stationed in the hallways, a few of them that had been in the final battle against Keung were talking about what had happened. My stomach churned as their voices drifted to me and I heard some of the gruesome details.

"Commander Bolin was so calm and intense," the soldier said. "His Majesty was calm too, until . . . "

I hesitated and drew near the hallway. Peeking from the wall, I saw that there were three soldiers standing near one of the doors talking. They all were dressed in their uniforms and it looked like they were about to go and celebrate. They were all in their mid to late thirties.

"Well, that foreigner was his family, right?"

"Kind of like adopted family."

"Still, I didn't think he would kill Keung like that . . . "

"The war is over; at least now I can go to my wife." The soldier laughed while another snorted.

"You know exactly where most of the soldiers are going!" The soldier slapped the other's shoulder. "Commander Bolin left for the brothel not too long ago. Can't blame him; it's been too long—"

I stopped listening and started making my way down the other hall once more, my mind wrapped around Meilin and how he was doing. It was expected that he was upset and still frustrated with what happened to Vita, but I could only imagine what my news would mean to him. At this moment, he didn't seem like he was going to care. He was preoccupied with so many other things.

On my way to find Meilin, I found Bohai standing in front of a trio of young soldiers. All the soldiers had their heads hung low as Bohai looked down at them. His expression was somewhat amused while the three looked embarrassed and ashamed.

"Bohai," I said when I came to him. One of the soldier's raised his eyes and met mine, his dark eyes widening as he stared at me. I turned to the Commander. "Do you—"

Bohai had his arms crossed over his chest and he was frowning, but I could see the amusement flickering within his gaze. Something was off about the situation, but I couldn't pin point exactly what. The three soldiers looked to be around seventeen, nineteen at most. They were all staring at me at this point.

"One moment," Bohai said to me as he turned to the soldiers. He cleared his throat. "So, who were you gawking at once more?"

One of the young soldiers squirmed under his scrutiny. "Forgive me, Commander—"

"No, this isn't a simple matter."

Another soldier blushed. "Commander—"

"So now you're shy?" Bohai rolled his eyes.