Chapter 3 - Hiccup

It was the end of just another day on the Isle of Berk. Hiccup was layed on the grass beside his lovable dragon Toothless looking up at the starstudded night sky. Suddenly he heard several footsteps not many yards away, both him and Toothless immediately turned their heads to see who they belonged to. Nothing. No-one was in sight. Hiccup tried to scan with his eyes through the darkness but he couldn't see anything.

"Ow!" A small squeal and several muffled whispers exploded from behind a tree a couple of feet away.

"Er, who -who goes there?" Hiccup sputtered out into the darkness infront of him, standing his guard, he thought to himself how strange and strangled his voice sounded when he was afraid. Then, almost giving him the fright of his life a girl with wild flaming red hair (at first in the poor light Hiccup thought her hair was on fire) jumped out from behind a tree and in a booming scottish accent exclaimed:

"Stay right where you are! Don't move an inch or it will attack you! I know all about these wild beasts don't worry you'll be fine, just slowly step away from the dragon and then I'll..."

"W- What? Wait, no, you don't understand!" Hiccup stuttered anxiously cutting the girl off, he found himself slightly afraid of her, she had just came out of no-where and was aiming a bow and arrow directly towards him. "This isn't a beast, th-this dragon is my pet, Toothless, he's completely safe, I promise."

"You have a pet dragon? Never heard of that one before.." The girl said sounding impressed and smirked, lowering her bow and arrow and lifting one fiery eyebrow in surprise. "It's alright to come out you two, it's safe!" She bellowed into the trees behind her and then out emerged into the clearing was a boy and a girl who came and stood beside the red headed one.

Hiccup found himself lost for words, stood there before his eyes was the most extraordinary trio he had ever seen! Beside the girl with manically fiery hair and a bow and arrow was a boy holding a wooden staff with the whitest skin Hiccup had ever seen. The third was a barefooted girl with golden blonde hair that was so long it trailed back along the ground into the forest for so far Hiccup could not even see where it ended.

"Sorry we got held back, my hair kept getting tangled in all the branches!" The blonde haired girl said apolagetically with a smile as she gathered up all her hair into a huge bundle in her arms. "So a dragon, huh? That's so amazing! He's lovely, what's his name?" She said going over to pet Toothless who delightedly nuzzled against her neck.

But Hiccup could not answer, he had no idea what to say, who on earth were these three people and what were they doing here? The three of them together was quite possibly the most unusual sight to ever be seen here in Berk. A thousand questions were swimming through Hiccup's mind, making his head hurt, yet he found himself completely lost for words, but it was then in fact the white haired and pale skinned boy who spoke first.

"You must be Hiccup. I'm Jack, Jack Frost, this is Merida," he gestured to the Scottish red head, "and Rapunzel," pointing to the blonde girl who was patting Toothless.

"Wow, wow, wait a second..." Hiccup said rubbing his forehead, "How do you know my name, what are you all doing here?"

"Look," Jack said, speaking in a more hushed manner, Hiccup could sense in his voice a tone of urgency, "We don't have long left, I can explain everything to you later, just not now, we aren't safe here."

"What do you mean we aren't safe? This is Berk, boring Berk, this is where I live, there's nothing dangerous about this place."

This time the fiery haired girl named Merida spoke, "Hiccup, you have to trust us! This is important, we need your help!"

Hiccup creased up his eyes suspiciously as he always did when thinking deeply about something, could he really trust them? What could these three possibly need his 'help' with? They didn't even know him.. Before his mind had came to a proper decision he heard his mouth speaking, "Ok, fine i'll come with you."

"Great! Rapunzel beamed tugging at Hiccup's sleeve excitedly.

Jack kept his eyes on Hiccup, "We'll need the help of your dragon aswell, can he fly well?"

"Oh, Toothless, yeah he's great." Hiccup said patting his dragon fondly on the head.

"Great, let's go then, it's getting darker and like I said time is running out."

Hiccup, Rapunzel and Merida all mounted Toothless, while Hiccup looked at Jack questioningly, "Aren't you coming?"

"Don't worry," Jack replied with a smile, "I can manage by myself."

With that Toothless's midnight black wings began to flap majestically, soaring the three of them high up into the cool night. The Isle of Berk grew smaller and smaller beneath them as they flew higher towards the stars. To Hiccup's incredible surprise Jack was flying effortlessly through the air beside them, "You-you can fly?!" He exclaimed in disbelief, hardly believing his eyes, as Jack just laughed joyously, streaming in and out of the clouds that were dusted through the night sky.

As they soared along, the cold night air was biting at Hiccup's cheeks and Rapunzel's unbelievable hair was billowing out in a dazzling waterfall behind them. A swarm of butterflies were fluttering frantically in Hiccup's stomach, what sort of crazy adventure had he got himself into? The whole night seemed like a dream, he had met a girl with a bow and arrow and flames for hair, another who had hair atleast a mile long and to top that a boy who could fly!

They had only just met and barely knew eachother but there was an indescribable sense of destiny among them, whatever it was that they were heading for, had every right to be afraid.