Chapter 16

I looked around the room trying to find out where I was. It looked as though I was in some sort of abandoned warehouse. We had all been sitting in silence for about 30 minutes. The only sounds I could hear was from my kidnapper cutting wood with his knife. Suddenly we all heard a knock at the door. Everyone stopped to look at the door. 

"Go invite our guest in," the guy with the knife said. One of the guys walked over to the door and opened it. There he was in all his glory. 

My kidnapper now had his knife up to my neck. "Walk slowly to the middle of the room" he said through clenched teeth. Duke did as he asked without saying a word, his eyes on me the whole time.

"You Jackass! Why did you come?" I said trying to hold back my tears. He didn't answer me he just looked at my captor.

"Okay. I'm hear now. Now let her go."

"Not so fast. We need to keep her as leverage. Just to make sure you won't fight back." The other four men started to close in on Duke.  

"Okay give me your best shot." Duke says with a grin. My eyes open wide at his reaction.

One of the guys punched him clear in the jaw. "Seriously? Is that the best you can do? You punch like a girl." he says before getting another blow to his chest. Another guy hits him in the back with his baseball bat. Duke stand there with his legs shaking. The guy with the baseball bat hits him again and again and again until he falls face down on the ground. Duke then spits blood out of his mouth. I could feel the tears streaming down my eyes. They all started to kick him in the chest now. One guy picked him up by his shirt. "common Dukey don't pass out on us now," he says as he slaps his face. I couldn't stand it anymore.

"Duke, what are you doing?! Fight back!" I yell loudly. Duke looks at me and just gives me a small smile before getting hit in the face again. He then falls on his back and groans. 

"Yes Duke, Fight back and see what happens when you do," My captor says putting the knife closer to my throat.  The guy with the baseball bat bashes his face with the bat. Making him spit out more blood. 

"Im sorry Duke. I know I said I would let her go but nothing would give me more pleasure than to watch you suffer," He holds the knife to my chest. I close my eyes and scream in fear. The next thing I knew I felt arms around me. I open my eyes to see Duke with blood gushing out of his shoulder. 

"H-How did you get here so fast? How do you still have the strength to stand up?" The guy behind me says. His voice filled with fear. The guy then yanks the blade of out Dukes shoulder and duke falls to the ground. I gasp in horror at the sight of Duke. I look over to see the guy who stabbed Duke grab a crowbar from off the ground.  He turned around with a rage full of hate his eyes as he was coming towards Duke. I have to do something. Without thinking, I used all of my strength to jump in front of Duke to protect him. The blow broke my chair I had been confined in and freed my hands. Everyone stopped and looked at me in shock but that silence was broken as we started to hear sirens. 

"Shit. Justin, we gotta go." one of the guys said looking at the guy with the crowbar. Justin looked at us for a second before responding. 

"Fuck. Okay. Let's get out of here." He said and they all exited in the back of the warehouse. I crawl towards Duke and hold his head in my hands. "Why...Why did you do that?" I said sobbing. 

Duke coughed. "Because...I couldn't just let the woman I love get hurt," he says before shortly after passing out. I put my head on his chest and start to cry harder. "You Dummy. I don't want you to die." I cried some more on his chest before passing out myself.

~~~

I wake up hearing a beeping noise. My eyes adjust to the room to see that I was in the hospital. 

"Hey! You're finally awake," I hear a feminine voice say. I look over to see Casey standing next to me with a small smile.

"W-Where's Duke?" I say in a groggy voice trying to get up.

"Woah, Woah, hold on a second," she says pushing me back on the bed. "He's in the next room he is fine." I breathe a sigh of relief.

"But he has lost a lot of blood and has a few broken ribs. He hasn't woken up yet," she adds on.

"I don't care. I want to see him," I say getting up again. 

Casey groans. "Fine. You are so stubborn." She finally moved out of the way. I didn't have any pain in my body. There was only some pain on my cheek where Justin cut me. I walked slowly in the room next to me hearing the machine of a heart beat. I walk in and gasp in horror at the scene. Duke had black and blue bruises all over his face. His shoulder was patched up where he was stabbed and his chest had bruises all over him. He had a blood bag attached to his arm that was giving him more blood. 

"He is one tough fucker." I hear a voice say. I look over to see Austin sitting in the corner of the room. I smile a little at his comment.

"Yeah, he sure is," I say now looking at Duke again.

"I'll give you some time alone with him," he says getting up. I sit down in the chair next to his bed and hold his hand. I didn't know what to say so I was quiet for a few minutes.

"You Jackass. How could you say something like that...telling me you love me." I blush a little bit. "You didn't even give me a chance to respond to you." I say looking down on his hand.

"You better wake up soon or-"

"Or what?"

I look up in shock to see a very awake Duke smirking at me. I smack him on his chest and he groans in pain. "Ow! What did you do that for? You know I'm injured right?" 

"You Jackass. Why didn't you tell me you were awake?" I ask now pissed.

"I don't know. I thought it was kinda cute. The way you were talking to me." He says with a smirk. His face then turns serious. " What was going to be your response anyway?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I say looking away from him.

"You know exactly what I am talking about. Hey! Hey! Where are you going?" He says. I was already walking towards the door. 

"Back to my room," I say before closing the door. 

"Hey! Come back here! We aren't done with the conversation Rosette!" I giggle at him for a second but, he was right. I knew sooner or later we would have to have that conversation.